Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Ray' throtle mod yesterday. Grate instructions, if you follow them exactly and do not get in a hurry. I made the swap of the KY grips with no issues and they KYs feel great. I did't realize how much more:D comfortable they would be. I've had stock grips on all my bikes for 30 years, but now I'm hooked.
The response of the twist grip is 100% better due to Ray' mod. If you haven't done it yet, save up your bucks and go for it. Your smile will be ear to ear. THANKS Ray. :D:D:handshake:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes I agree, I put Ray's Kury modified grips on last week and the throttle response is more quick and it causes the cable to wind up a bit faster, which I assume then tricks the TPS to realize it needs to get with the program and out of the EPA crap.

But another thing Ray's mod did is it made my intake leak flaw even more visible, which was good. I am now in the process of fixing that. I have more spitting on throttle blips when I first crank it up. And then after it's warm I have a knock when I blip the throttle. I also have decel popping, all of this with stock equipment, the bike is brand new, but a 2011 hold over.

I'm gonna pull the intake manifold and lay some 300 grit sandpaper on a piece of glass, and rub the manifold face over it till it looks more flat. Then I will finish it up with 600 grit.

Then I'm planning to install a 1/32" intake gasket on the flat section of the intake manifold, where the throttle body O-rings press into. I will stick the gasket to the manifold with some gasket tack sealant.

I'm hoping this will aleviate the intake leak problem. If not then I think I will just take the 0-rings out all together and just mount it with gasket material and sealant. I sense the the 87 in. lbs of torque is just not enought to compress those O-rings into the slight deviations of the poor milling of the intake manifold.

Anyhow if none of this works, then I will try to sand down the standoffs which appear to be a bit more tricky since you have the throttle attachment on it and the manual says not to remove that from the body. I'm thinking with gasket material if I cut around the standoffs they will become a mute issue.

And if none of this works, I will just ship my throttle body and manifold to Ray and let him fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
i installed ray' throtle mod yesterday. Grate instructions, if you follow them exactly and do not get in a hurry. I made the swap of the ky grips with no issues and they kys feel great. I did't realize how much more:d comfortable they would be. I've had stock grips on all my bikes for 30 years, but now i'm hooked.
The response of the twist grip is 100% better due to ray' mod. If you haven't done it yet, save up your bucks and go for it. Your smile will be ear to ear. Thanks ray. :d:d:handshake:
yes i agree, i put ray's kury modified grips on last week and the throttle response is more quick and it causes the cable to wind up a bit faster, which i assume then tricks the tps to realize it needs to get with the program and out of the epa crap.

But another thing ray's mod did is it made my intake leak flaw even more visible, which was good. I am now in the process of fixing that. I have more spitting on throttle blips when i first crank it up. And then after it's warm i have a knock when i blip the throttle. I also have decel popping, all of this with stock equipment, the bike is brand new, but a 2011 hold over.

I'm gonna pull the intake manifold and lay some 300 grit sandpaper on a piece of glass, and rub the manifold face over it till it looks more flat. Then i will finish it up with 600 grit.

Then i'm planning to install a 1/32" intake gasket on the flat section of the intake manifold, where the throttle body o-rings press into. I will stick the gasket to the manifold with some gasket tack sealant.

I'm hoping this will aleviate the intake leak problem. If not then i think i will just take the 0-rings out all together and just mount it with gasket material and sealant. I sense the the 87 in. Lbs of torque is just not enought to compress those o-rings into the slight deviations of the poor milling of the intake manifold.

Anyhow if none of this works, then i will try to sand down the standoffs which appear to be a bit more tricky since you have the throttle attachment on it and the manual says not to remove that from the body. I'm thinking with gasket material if i cut around the standoffs they will become a mute issue.

And if none of this works, i will just ship my throttle body and manifold to ray and let him fix it.
thanx guys

racnray

1 - 3 of 3 Posts