Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, thanks to another member mentioning trading the stock tail shock with a ZX14 model, and discussing the front with the suggestion of race tech gold valve emulators, I spent a bit on the emulators when I was changing fork seals. I've ridden probably a grand total of 12 miles on them and the difference is already amazing.

Let's be fair, the stock front on our beloved v9 is just... sad. Floppy, easy to dive, and bottoms out as often as it doesn't. Five-ish inches of travel from full extension shouldn't be that easy to traverse, but then you have to account for sag and the loss of distance. Perhaps mine was just a one-off with that issue, but pavement buckles are practically teeth-shattering.

Trouble me no more, sad, wonky suspension. Race tech has a cure. When I say the change is nothing short of drastic, I mean that it's not luxury air suspension, but the roads I hated because of pavement cracks, buckles, and awful patch jobs have become less of a phobia and more of a minor inconvenience. Brake dive is reduced to the point where it's a new truck versus an old Ford explorer with bad ball joints and leaky shocks.

It was dark on the ride home from my brother's shop, so I wasn't able to aim for typically problematic spots, but I know that no matter which lane position I took on the way home, the road was uncomfortable at many spots. I took the lane positions I remembered to avoid in the spots where a long stretch required a change... and it was realistically no worse than if I had avoided it with the old setup. World changing stuff.

I will say this. The device almost seems gimmicky at first glance. Little brass thing less than an inch tall that fits inside the fork tube with a spring and a screw sticking out of the top. 'I paid how much for this? '
The difference is made, however, with the adjustability and equations being done for you in their end. Based on rider weight, skill level, riding style (or environment), and preferences, you do a couple modifications to your stock suspension or purchase new items to pair with your emulators, maybe change oil weights (a minor inconvenience when i already bought the regular stuff and there isn't much in the way of local suppliers here), make a few well defined adjustments to the emulator itself... all the math is done for you by the system at race tech. Apparently all of it is based on number crunching, real world data, and feedback from teams and customers. Little bitty part with huge results.

If you've considered doing these, your back will thank you. Go ahead. Do the thing. Now excuse me while I dig up a used stock zx14 rear shock in good condition.

· Super Moderator
2,995 Posts
Misfire. Excuse my ignorance,I am in England, but what are pavement buckles ,and why are you riding on the pavement ?
Pavement buckles are places where the pavement has buckled up, creating a bump in the road. If they are not too bad, they are more a nuisance than a danger, but they can make for a rough ride. I had several like that I had to deal for a while when commuting to work. Not bad enough to avoid that road, but a real pain to deal with. At worse, they can be extremely hazardous to any vehicle, but especially a motorcycle. I have come across some that would have been disastrous to hit on a motorcycle, but the city took forever to fix.

· Registered
400 Posts
Misfire. Excuse my ignorance,I am in England, but what are pavement buckles ,and why are you riding on the pavement ?
LOL. We don’t ride on the walking path here. What you call pavement, we call a sidewalk.
Pavement here is a general term for for the road surface or slang for what the road surface is made from. IE. we may say pavement instead of specifically saying concrete or blacktop Road surface.
now excuse me while I have some biscuits with my eggs. 😂

· Registered
1,306 Posts
I find your suggested mod interesting
It would have been nice if you had taken pics as you went and posted a how to thread.
I can dive into an engine with no fear but the shocks confuse the heck outta me so tackling a job like this with very little how too or reference material would probably be a hard pass.
I checked out the website and they don't really offer a lot of information to explain the process either and year the price is surprising for what appears to be a pair of very small parts.
I agree that our suspension could be better and have looked at doing a progressive spring the next time mine need to be rebuilt.
Biggest problem i have seen there is most of them are set up to lower the bike and i don't want that.

Same with the zx14 shock
I think i was only able to find 1 thread with any real information.
We all want our bikes to ride better but to try a mod with out good information is gonna be out of most peoples acceptable comfort zone.

I applaud the people like you that have the time and $$$ to be able to go after a mod with just an idea. Its the out of the box thinking that has yielded a ton of really great mods for these bikes.

· Registered
274 Posts
LOL. We don’t ride on the walking path here. What you call pavement, we call a sidewalk.
Pavement here is a general term for for the road surface or slang for what the road surface is made from. IE. we may say pavement instead of specifically saying concrete or blacktop Road surface.
now excuse me while I have some biscuits with my eggs😂
Biscuits with eggs ?!:unsure:
We call all walking paths footpaths, or can be called pavement if made of paving slabs, but yes, we don't call any road a pavement. Interesting differences in use of English language between America and England. (should be used to it with all the American culture, t.v. programmes and westerns we were brought up on here !
p.s.I was 18 before I realised there weren't any cowboys and ****** in England )

· Registered
400 Posts
what's wrong with saying i n j u n s ?!
Nothing except pu**y liberals looking for something to get offended about. Lol, you should be used to that, you guys have a lot of those over there too.
This decade, we are saying “Native Americans”. I’m sure it will change soon.

· Super Moderator
2,995 Posts
what's wrong with saying i n j u n s ?!
Nothing except pu**y liberals looking for something to get offended about. Lol, you should be used to that, you guys have a lot of those over there too.
This decade, we are saying “Native Americans”. I’m sure it will change soon.
Rather than make a comment about these posts, I'm going to ask that we stop this now. This could quickly turn into a nasty, politically charged discussion. We don't need that on this forum.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
Biscuits with eggs ?!:unsure:
We call all walking paths footpaths, or can be called pavement if made of paving slabs, but yes, we don't call any road a pavement. Interesting differences in use of English language between America and England. (should be used to it with all the American culture, t.v. programmes and westerns we were brought up on here !
p.s.I was 18 before I realised there weren't any cowboys and ** in England )
We don't call a road a pavement either.

It's a general description of the type of road (or path or sidewalk) surface, as in a paved road vs. dirt road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts