Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my youtube sound evaluations, I like the VH system... gutting stock sounds alright, is free, but still has the cat converter pucks (most restrictive part of the exhaust on these, I'm told). I've also heard that some of these systems (cobra and VH) are very loud, and I'd rather not be that loud.

I'd like it a bit louder than stock, but not offensive... my neighbor has a HD with screamin eagles (look like actual mufflers not drag pipes) on it that's fairly quiet (noticeable though, some would say it's 'loud' like my dad does) but when he cranks on it- damn you can hear it sing!

What's your guys' suggestions?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the HK Sideburner 2 into 1 and it has a great sound. It hums right along and when you open it up, it opens up too. From what I read too, it produces the most torque of aftermarket pipes. It actually has a great look to it without looking like drag pipes.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This is the 1st thread I have seen where someone is truly interested in a quiet pipe. something with a bit more rumble than stock but not insane. This is what I want too. The other part of picking pipes is finding a pipe that appeals to you in appearance. My favorite personal choices are the Cobra Speedster Slashdown and the Longs. When I make that investment I am sure I will be also buying the quiet baffles. I like the looks of the Vance and Hines but to me they sound a bit tinny.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought the Vance and Hines and also thought they were harsh when you were crusing and kind of tinny. I bought this fiberglass exhaust material...pulled the baffels and wraped them. Now it has deeper sound and a lot easier on the ears at crusing speed.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I bought the Vance and Hines and also thought they were harsh when you were crusing and kind of tinny. I bought this fiberglass exhaust material...pulled the baffels and wraped them. Now it has deeper sound and a lot easier on the ears at crusing speed.
Can you post a how-to? Where did you get the exhaust fiberglass material? It sounds about perfect to me... tinny doesn't sound good (remember, its youtube, so crappy recording and file size constraints distort sound)
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
40 Posts
The baffels are about a foot long or so....the middle section has small holes it it and is not as big around as the ends.....you will see when you pull them out. I just wraped as much of the fiberglass on as I could and still be able to slide them back in. There are different types of fiberglass packing....I suppose you could use any of it. I bought this type that is like strands and just wraped it around. I guess you could buy the type that is like woven and tape it on with heat tape. The dealer had several types....dirt bike riders use it to repack their mufflers. Hope this helps.....I don't have pics...should have taken some when I did it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The baffels are about a foot long or so....the middle section has small holes it it and is not as big around as the ends.....you will see when you pull them out. I just wraped as much of the fiberglass on as I could and still be able to slide them back in. There are different types of fiberglass packing....I suppose you could use any of it. I bought this type that is like strands and just wraped it around. I guess you could buy the type that is like woven and tape it on with heat tape. The dealer had several types....dirt bike riders use it to repack their mufflers. Hope this helps.....I don't have pics...should have taken some when I did it.
I know what you're talking about... I think... the baffles are 'dog bone' shaped (more or less, the ends OD being the same as the exhaust pipe ID (so they fit) and the center is basically a perforated tube, and the 'mod' is to essentially make a 'unpacked glasspack' into 'a glasspack'

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sweet! I'm sold on those. Just have to get some $$ and all...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts