Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a set of the baffles from SmartPartz in my HK 2.5" Strippers over the weekend and I have to say I'm pretty pleased overall. They don't really make it any quieter but they do deepen the tone which is much more pleasing in my opinion. They were just too harsh before, especially with a full face helmet on. The only thing I don't like is that with the Strippers you can see the baffles stuck right in the end of the pipe and it looks a little cheesy. I'm thinking of maybe painting the baffles with a high temp black to camouflage them a little, but then again maybe they'll do that on their own with a little carbon buildup over time. Oh and $9.99 shipping and they got from Cali to Ga in 3 days which is a pretty sweet deal.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just read your post and want to cry!

I have those same pipes on my 09 SE and I got a ticket from the coppers here for my bike being too loud. Those SmartPartz baffles were all I could find online so I ordered them up. Are they seriously not any quieter??? The site claims 6 - 12 db.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cdn, to be honest with you I was hoping for alot more noise reduction but I still find it to be way better than before. There is less harshness and the tone is deeper but I would guess very slight overall decibel reduction. I'd suggest giving them a try. And please let me know what you think once you get them in. Thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's a bunch

I just read your post and want to cry!

I have those same pipes on my 09 SE and I got a ticket from the coppers here for my bike being too loud. Those SmartPartz baffles were all I could find online so I ordered them up. Are they seriously not any quieter??? The site claims 6 - 12 db.
6 to 12 Db is a lot. Db is a log scale and a 3 db change is about half, 6 db would be about a quarter, 12 db would be about an eight of the orginal power.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The EPA/Feds have a standard of, I think, 88 DB here. In Texas it's not enforced on bikes since its not a state law.

Texas doesn't have a legal sound level standard for bikes, only for cars. Yeah, strange.:confused:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shiloh, when you explain it that way I would definitely say that 6 to 12 db less is very optimistic in reference to the manufacturer's claims. I don't regret the purchase because the pipes do sound alot better, just not alot quieter. I'm looking forward to CdnVulcan's opinion once he installs his.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The US Federal Standard is 80db for motorcycle manufactures only and testing is done much different than what each state or city is doing. Each state and city is developing their own standards based on the new stationary on-highway motorcycle sound test standard released by SAE. (SAE J2825).
Information from the AMA:
The SAE J2825 on-highway motorcycle sound test procedure is similar to the one used for the SAE J1287 off-highway motorcycle test. The street bike measurement requires holding a calibrated sound meter at a 45-degree angle 20 inches from the exhaust pipe of a running engine. The procedure spells out how to do the test with the bike at idle, at a predetermined engine speed ("Set RPM Test"), or by slowly increasing the engine speed of the bike, known as the "Swept RPM Test."

The SAE J2825 standard, prepared by the SAE Motorcycle Technical Steering Committee, recommends a decibel limit of 92 dBA at idle for all machines or -- using the Set RPM or Swept RPM Test -- 100 dBA for three- or four-cylinder machines, and 96 dBA for bikes with fewer than three or more than four cylinders.

If you get pulled over for sound, make sure the officer is qualified to do the testing and has the calibrated equipment to do the test. If the officer is making a judgment call using his ears, fight it!

Doug
Fuggin Fabrication

·
Registered
657 Posts
I installed a set of the baffles from SmartPartz in my HK 2.5" Strippers over the weekend and I have to say I'm pretty pleased overall. They don't really make it any quieter but they do deepen the tone which is much more pleasing in my opinion. They were just too harsh before, especially with a full face helmet on. The only thing I don't like is that with the Strippers you can see the baffles stuck right in the end of the pipe and it looks a little cheesy. I'm thinking of maybe painting the baffles with a high temp black to camouflage them a little, but then again maybe they'll do that on their own with a little carbon buildup over time. Oh and $9.99 shipping and they got from Cali to Ga in 3 days which is a pretty sweet deal.
I installed the baffle into my Cobra 2 into 1 Power Pro pipes. While it helped, it still wasn't quiet enough. I sealed the outer edge of the baffle with some muffler putty, painted the inside of the pipe black and now it sounds really nice without the high volume.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I installed the baffle into my Cobra 2 into 1 Power Pro pipes. While it helped, it still wasn't quiet enough. I sealed the outer edge of the baffle with some muffler putty, painted the inside of the pipe black and now it sounds really nice without the high volume.
Which baffle did you use?

edit: found in another thread

Interesting indeed. I got some Cobra 2 into1 Power Pro pipes for Christmas and boy were they loud. I went for a day ride and my ears rang for 45 minutes after getting home so I purchased the Smart-Parts baffle. When I installed it, it didn't fit really tight, but it did cut the noise down some. I went out and got some muffler putty and sealed the baffle around the outside edge and then painted the inside of the muffler black. That really helped quiet it down a lot. Since doing this I've gotten some compliments from my riding group on how well they sound. They're still louder than stock (there's 2 other 900 LT's in the group so I've heard them side-by-side), but at a reasonable level. I would reccomend the Smart Parts baffle for quieting down loud pipes providing it s sealed around the outside edge. I also really don't think that adding fiberglass to the pipes will have that big an impact, though for some that was enough. I'm really happy with my pipes now.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Can you post a pic? How difficult was the install?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would be interested in seeing a pic also. How much of a gap did you have to fill with the muffler putty??

In my swepts, the Smartpartz baffles is a pretty neat fit. Did you do this because the 2 into 1 muffler is of a larger diameter than the Hard Core baffle??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts