Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This trike (900 classic) is kind of loud, I think it uses re configured stock mufflers.

When tooling down the road I can hear the intake pretty good. I have a windshield and sit in a calm spot. I think the intake echos off the windshield.

I only want to hear the exhaust. Engine is mechanically silent even right next to it except on start up.

I have only changed the oil and made a few small repairs. We (I) now have 1300 miles on it. My girlfriend the owner does not like the intake noise either.

I think she also wants a gold wing trike which wold mean I keep this one.

Can I quiet the intake?

David

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would think a 900 Tri would be very taxed by the extra weight. Maybe this is something you get when you heavily modify a vehicle beyond its intended use.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the trike David R?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slow to reply

Here a couple pics. She took a 2 wheel MSF course and got her license. I ride it more than her.

And her on it this spring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I now have about 2,000 miles on it. What a blast. 500 mile trip planned for this sunday.

About the noise. My son and I spent 2 hours taking the exhaust off and making all the pipes fit. The rear cylinder to muffler connection had a tight clamp but the pipes had a good size gap. Same for the other muffler and both crossover connections. I took a grinder with a 1/16" wheel and re slotted the outside pipe. After some puttzing around you could plug the outlet and stall the bike. Its much quieter now but I still can her the intake over everything else.

We put lowers on it so I am in a nice quiet pocket of air.
We want a cup holder,
She wants a stereo.

Last tankful 39.6 mpg on 87 octane which gives the best mileage.

I tried ear buds last night with a full face helmet, it was ok in town, but I could not hear it on the highway. These were noise canceling earbuds.

Loving the bike. I have found some of its limits. The trike part does not like bumps.

It has a max speed of about 91 mph. :D

Uphill with a headwind, it poops out about 75.

Going 75 mph hit a good bump and my feet fly off the floorboards. This happens to my girlfriend too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice looking trike y'all have there. I wondering if your hearing the intake more because the pipes run under and out. That looks to be the same shield I have on my bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts