Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My rear D404 at 6000-6500 miles is worn out, right on schedule. It's like in the last 1000 miles or so, the wear accelerated. The front tire of course is in fine shape. Since I have to replace it, I have a few questions.

A) What's the collective wisdom of mixing/matching tire brands?
B) Is it fair to say a rounder profile reduces the sensation of "falling into" slow turns?
C) I like to actually *lean* my bike. The '500 is a sporty little cruiser that's fun on twisty roads. Any suggestions regarding the below?

In order of price, I could get the following tires. Thoughts? Experience? Grip? Handling? Life? Wet traction? I'm not really interested in an ME880. I have 'em on my Nighthawk - they seem too hard until they're quite warmed up and I don't trust them in the rain.

Shinko 230
Pirelli MT 66
Dunlop D404 (you'd have to give me a good reason to get me to buy another one of these turds)
Michelin Commander II (I'll note it appears to have the roundest profile of the bunch and is a mere $20 more than the D404)
Avon Venom

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Replaced original Bridgestones with Commander IIs. Currently have almost 16,000 miles on them and will probably get another 4k or so. Odd, but it seems the front is wearing faster than the rear.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I mix brands when needed. I do not use a radial on the front wheel unless the back wheel is also a radial....However, if back is a radial I can use a bias ply on the front...you did not ask about radials but thought I'd comment.

I have a commander II on the rear of my Magna V4 power cruiser and it has 10,000 miles on it and maybe has another 2000 to go..I ride the bike like I stole it so with easier riding I'd expect more mileage. 10K miles is far and away more than I ever got on any other brand rear tire. The center of the tread on the Commander II has never flattened.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I put a set of Shinkos on my VN2K got about 12 K miles out of the rear tire I replaced it with a CT , I am getting ready to replace the front and rear tires on my Goldwing with some Shinkos

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a set of Kenda Kruz tires on my bike. Amazing wet traction.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does the Kenda stack up to a Michelin Commander II? I keep finding universally glowing reviews of that tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts