Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, traded my 2004 Roadstar Silverado last week for a 2012 Vulcan Voyager. Last weekend the lovely Mrs. Too and I did a good long ride (~340 miles) to get acquainted with the new girlfriend.

First up, by way of comparison, the Roadie was not stock... Just putting that out there because it may color my opinion somewhat. My roadie had a Cobra Powerpro 2-1 exhaust, Baron's big air kit, rejetted carb, Dynatek module, Mustang wide touring seat, LA Choppers 900lb rear spring and progressive fork springs running 15wt oil. The Vulcan is completely stock.

We rode a decent size piece of interstate, speeds from 70-80mph. A bunch of winding 2 lane blacktop. A whole series of mountain roads with switchbacks, elevation changes, hairpin turns etc. Very little city mileage, just a few spots with appreciable traffic.

Seat was initially very comfortable for me, as the mileage wore on though, the better lower back support from the Mustang seat on my roadie was sorely missed, pun intended... This is now the first thing on my list of upgrades. I will definitely be getting one.

Power was marginally down. There is still plenty, but for obvious reasons (completely stock engine, extra 100lbs of bike, etc.) it wasn't as quick. Don't get me wrong, it still makes plenty, its just that my reference is different.

Smooth, like omg smooth. The roadie was a more visceral ride and couldn't handle the washboards we call frost heaves around NE anywhere near as well as the Kawi does. Big score on this point!

Liquid cooling, temperatures stayed right where they should be on a 90° day.

Fuel injection, nice to be able to start right up and not play with chokes or have the occasional carb cough when rolling on power.

From a passenger standpoint, she was all smiles. Loves the couch on the back, lol.

Overall impression, much more refined bike than the roadie. They each have their strong suits, but for the mileage hound in me, the Voyager will end up being a better bike in the long run.

Future upgrades
Mustang Wide touring seat (yesterday please!)
iPod adaptor

Down the road upgrades
either slip on's or a full exhaust - jury's still out on this. I wouldn't mind a bit more rumble, but not as loud as the Cobra pipe on my Roadie. More interested in dropping some backpressure than extra noise. All suggestions will be appreciated.

At least a K&N stock filter, possibly an entire airbox change to aftermarket.
FI controller to go with it.

Looking forward to many more miles.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The big 3 are a must. I did V&H slip ons, Power Commander V, and a Big Air Kit. The V&H mufflers are very tame. I went from Samson exhaust on my 1500 Classic and was shocked at how tame the mufflers on my Vaq are. I can hear the radio easy at 80 mph. With these upgrades and a Mustang seat my bike is a comfortable beast. Rides like a total different bike after the upgrades. Also RacnRays throttle mod is a must do. You feel a tremendous diffrence in response especially at low speeds. Send him a message and he can explain it to you. Good luck with the new scoot.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
After the break in, you'll enjoy the Mustang seat. Mine was stiff for the first few hundred miles, as it was on my last bike. I have the wide touring with dual backrests. I love having a backrest, and the easy removable backrest for the wife is far cheaper than Kawasaki's quick release solution. And she doesn't ride often (usually rides her own). Not sure what it is about Kawasaki's and crappy stock seats, but it is what it is.

Enjoy the machine!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I had the wide touring seat on my Roadie, but without the back rests. Since this is a Voyager, no need for hers, but I might look at the version with the rider backrest.

Good to know on the V&H slip ons. The Cobra pipe I had on the roadie was loud. I honestly don't want that much rumble. Long distances tend to make it drone on in your ears. I won't be using the radio much on two up trips. We have Sena SMH5 headsets in our helmets and we enjoy being able to talk to each other while we're riding.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Unless you already own an iPod, I would skip that overpriced purchase of iPod and iPod adapter and put the money toward a Garmin ZUMO 660 GPS. They can be had for around $350 nowadays. Wire the ZUMO into the bike and use it as your MP3 player. That way, if you are also using it to navigate, it will pause the music to tell you the next turn and then resume the music. The '12 and newer bikes have a connection point into the stereo system for the GPS.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I it's power your wanting to add... I just put Freedom Performance 2into 1 on my classic. I've never had a set of pipes make that much difference. I added a PC V and really picked up some ponies.
I've had other bikes and added V&H full pipes to one Cobra slip ons on another and there was no comparison in performance improvement. I am kinda' looking to replace my bike but if I decide to keep it I'll be going big air next spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts