1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
28 Posts
i just put the Easy brackets on mine this past saturday. a friend told me that the edge brackets weren't as good as the easy brackets. I picked 'em up for $150. the brackets themselves were a breeze to install but mounting the bags to the brackets was a bit of a pain. i have the saddlemen teardrop bags and the way the lid is on them makes it a hassle to close at times. otherwise i'm quite happy with the end result.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have the Edge brackets on my LT. Had to shim the bracket out a bit from the bag thanks to the hinge of the bag having an offset. So it took me a couple trips to the the hardware store to get it all lined up. That and the spacers that they sent weren't right for my bike, you can get those at the hardware store. But it's great to be out at the hotel or campsite or to be working on the bike and with just a quick turn of the key have the bags up out of the way or stored in the room/tent with you. I have the 30 dollar handle too but have only used it once. Then again, a quarter mile of carrying without the handle would have sucked even more then with it.

See here? Bags off:

Bags On

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Edge brackets on my LT. Had to shim the bracket out a bit from the bag thanks to the hinge of the bag having an offset. So it took me a couple trips to the the hardware store to get it all lined up. That and the spacers that they sent weren't right for my bike, you can get those at the hardware store. But it's great to be out at the hotel or campsite or to be working on the bike and with just a quick turn of the key have the bags up out of the way or stored in the room/tent with you. I have the 30 dollar handle too but have only used it once. Then again, a quarter mile of carrying without the handle would have sucked even more then with it.
Did you order the optional spacer kit for the OEM saddlebags ?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I ordered the right kit from Meancycles, it had the correct number for the backrest on it but it didn't have the parts inside and they didn't list the offset kit for the stock bags. No matter, they're just spacers and stainless washers will do that just fine.

This is all a year ago come to think of it because I came home, My wife walked in and said 'Emily's in labor' opened the front door, brought the box in off the porch and threw it in my lap and continued 'Happy birthday, I'm getting some comfy clothes on and we'll be off to the hospital in 5 minutes. GET READY!!!' and that's how much I got to look at it before we left to the hospital. We got home at 2am. Got up and went to the hospital, my daughter and baby were doing fine with visitors and after an hour or so she looked at me and said 'Aren't you supposed to be riding to Eureka Springs?' Yes, but you know, baby came. 'We won't be going home till Sunday, have fun.' And I was gone. Made my wife mad because she spent the next two days buying baby clothes and wanted me to drive her from place to place to do it.

Last week was my second trip to Eureka Springs for Spring Fling, and yes, the birthday party, I remember looking at the kit when I got home from the hospital and noticing it was missing the extra adapters and called the Monday after I got home. The parts that came in the kit only worked if you didn't have a backrest. Bolts were Too short and there weren't any Spacers that take place of the offsets that are on the OEM bolts.

Ahhhh, seems like yesterday.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the right kit from Meancycles, it had the correct number for the backrest on it but it didn't have the parts inside and they didn't list the offset kit for the stock bags. No matter, they're just spacers and stainless washers will do that just fine.

This is all a year ago come to think of it because I came home, My wife walked in and said 'Emily's in labor' opened the front door, brought the box in off the porch and threw it in my lap and continued 'Happy birthday, I'm getting some comfy clothes on and we'll be off to the hospital in 5 minutes. GET READY!!!' and that's how much I got to look at it before we left to the hospital. We got home at 2am. Got up and went to the hospital, my daughter and baby were doing fine with visitors and after an hour or so she looked at me and said 'Aren't you supposed to be riding to Eureka Springs?' Yes, but you know, baby came. 'We won't be going home till Sunday, have fun.' And I was gone. Made my wife mad because she spent the next two days buying baby clothes and wanted me to drive her from place to place to do it.

Last week was my second trip to Eureka Springs for Spring Fling, and yes, the birthday party, I remember looking at the kit when I got home from the hospital and noticing it was missing the extra adapters and called the Monday after I got home. The parts that came in the kit only worked if you didn't have a backrest. Bolts were Too short and there weren't any Spacers that take place of the offsets that are on the OEM bolts.

Ahhhh, seems like yesterday.
WOW! Great story its amazing how we associate things and events in our lives. Thanks for the quick reply and the pics of your bags. I took the OEM backrest off my bike and i have a bunch of washers as spacers right now so maybe the optional spacer kit will work perfect for me.

·
Registered
976 Posts
"Amazing how we associate things and events in our lives. "

Fer instance, I was just in taking a dump when I decided to go with ghost brackets.... is how I thought you would finish that sentance. Ahhhh an opportunity missed.

Even if you don't get all the spacers, washers and what not with the brackets AS LONG as you get the brackets and spindles you can pick everything else up at the hardware store and the dang things are real handy to have on the bike. Or off if the case may be. It only takes a second to go between the two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts