Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Quick question ?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Lesblank 
#1 ·
So on my 87 Vulcan 1500 b 80 SE I have no electrical whatsoever no lights no nothing. And I replaced everything the CDI box regulator reverse lighting everything the whole wiring harness everything and I made it oversight and I didn't change the coil packs. I checked him today and my primary is it 2.8 ohms and my secondary is at o.l ohms . So obviously that's bad but would that cause me to have no electrical. Because it's the last possible thing that's wrong with this electrical on his bike everything else is brand new.

#2 ·
You are not getting voltage or ground.

1. Check voltage at battery it self, is it 12.4 volts or more. Use a bike ground not battery ground. If no voltage you have a ground issue.
2. If voltage at battery check voltage on starter relay, 12.4 volts on battery side?

3. Turn key on, 12.4 volts on main side? If not check 30 amp main fuse. Fuse good? If fuse is good you are not getting complete cuicuit thru ignition switch.

This should help you narrow down where power interruption is. Post back results.

#4 ·
Sorry I didn't respond sooner was out of town for 2 days. Want to say thank you to less Bank for the tips. I have 12.8 on the battery is brand new I picked one up on my way home. I ground it through frame it's 12.9 grounded it from the solenoid on the battery side is 12.9. on the main side to the frame when I tested it it was nothing. When I turn the key on it was still nothing. The fuse was good but I'm going to change it anyways. Does that mean that the solenoids bad? And I'm going to see if I can fiddle with the ignition switch right now and see if that could be it. But if you think you think of anything else please let me know....thanks again guys

#5 ·
quick update. I was able to hook up a new ignition switch. Now I hit my ignition switch to start the bike and my fuel pump turns on but the bike still ain't turning over. But I don't have my ignition coils hooked up at the moment like I have the wires disconnected so would that be why maybe I'm not getting to start cuz I thought at least the Pistons and s*** would go without him being hooked up obviously it wouldn't fire but I figured it was still try

#6 ·
The solenoid open and closes the power to the bike that is switched off and on by the ignition switch. Power to the solenoid is good. With key on, the solenoid closes the connection so battery power is sent to rest of bike. So it sounds like ignition switch isn't closing connection to the solenoid. Could be ignition switch, clutch switch, break in wire, or connection issue. Here's a thread that might help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.