Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently replaced my stator, and the charging system is working great. Now the alternator cover plate (or generator cove) seems to be leaking. I'm wondering if I need to spread silicon gasket on the OEM gasket (part number 11061-0209). I used silicon spray lubricant on it, but as the title states it was without much success.

I've looked at the forum and haven't been able to find a definitive answer. People say use silicon, but they don't specify if it's the spray lubricant, or the actual gasket.

tl;dr -
Should I use a silicon gasket like PCV gasket in addition to the OEM one when replacing the stator cover?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I fitted my gasket on dry with no sealant.
Can you see where the leak is exactly?
Is it coming from where the rubber is where the wires go through?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be. I don't think so because it is a fairly substantial leak. A drop or so every few seconds. The rubber grommet for the wires is out of the oil I thought. So I (possibly incorrectly) was thinking that would be more of a seepage rather than dripping.

That being said the leaking happens after the bike has warmed up and I get into the higher rpms. I also didn't put any silicon on that either.

Could there be such a substantial leak from that grommet?

·
Registered
536 Posts
That grommet is sealed with a sealer from the factory so I would try to get a good look at that spot to see if there is oil near it. When I did my stator replacement I resealed that grommet since it originally had sealant on it. Another spot that can leak (this leaked on mine on reassembly) is the O rings on the inspection plate. I should have kept them in the right location but didn't and on reassembly had to flip them around and front to back until they sealed properly. One other place that can cause problems is where the wires from what I think is the oil sensor in the front of the motor run under the case...it is possible to pinch one of the wires in between the gasket and the case on reassembly. That would probably be a steady drip. I would think if you ran it with the chrome cover off you would be able to see where the leak is coming from. If it was from that top grommet it would probably follow the wires down under that chrome cover and it would be noticeable there. Also, I hope you got the surfaces of the cases spotless and free of gasket remnants from the old gasket. Mine had to be scraped off but doing this it is easy to score the case if you use something sharp. Hopefully both case halves were cleaned thoroughly?

·
Registered
701 Posts
1+ with Dirtwiz
If the case halves were CLEAN and free of burrs, you should not need any sealer with the gasket. O rings and the grommet now that is an other story.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I did not remove or touch the inspection plate at all, and there does not seem to be any leakage from there (in fact I had no idea what the inspection plate was until I just looked it up in the manual).

I did notice some leakage from the grommet that the stator wires pass through on the alternator cover. So I took PCV black (oil resistant silicon gasket), removed the grommet, and put a bead along the outside of the grommet in the grove that fits into the alternator cover.

I also put a small (very small) bead along the actual gasket so it would stay on the engine while I was manipulating the cover back into place.

I did all of this yesterday. The PCV instructions say to wait 24 hours before use so I'll test the bike this afternoon and report back what happens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rode the bike to class and back, and let it idle for awhile. So far no leaks I can see. Apparently it was the grommet the whole time.

Good call, Jasonjetski.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts