Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does it matter if i use synthetic or conventional oil? which one would be better in the wet clutch, and what's the best grade/weight , in synthetic or conventional and would it help the gears move smoothly? i have a little bit of stiff movement in the gears mostly in 1st,2nd , and thought the engine oil might have something to do with it?

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
does it matter if i use synthetic or conventional oil? which one would be better in the wet clutch, and what's the best grade/weight , in synthetic or conventional and would it help the gears move smoothly? i have a little bit of stiff movement in the gears mostly in 1st,2nd , and thought the engine oil might have something to do with it?

thanks for the help.
youre gonna get a million different answers now!

basically, the 800 does not NEED synthetic. that oil, if you read the label, is for high revving racing engines. the 800 will blow up around 8,500, assuming the limiter is faulty. Synthetic is for 13,000 and up.

Synthetic WILL increase oil pressure, I have known it to cause minor oil seepage on older engines.

So, after all that, its your money, and if you want it, do it.

But synthetic is very unlikely to make your gear changes easier.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The debate between synthetic and conventional oils would take to much room here, and has been covered in it's own thread more than once.
That being said, what you should look for is "JASO MA" being printed somewhere on the container!
JASO stands for the Japanese Engine Oil Standards Panel, and MA stands for Motorcycle wet clutch applications.
Usually it can be found in the fine print on the back of the jug with a bunch of other specifications.
As long as it says that, it's OK to use with a wet clutch. everything else is what you're comfortable with, and personal preference.
The Manual for an 800 suggests 10-40 or a 20-40,
I personally use a JASO-MA rated 15-40 and have had quite good luck with it.
As long as it's rated for a wet clutch, use what trips your trigger!
Have fun, and good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts