Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
It took a hell of a lot work to get them to fit right and thankfully I had another set of hands to help. I was curious what anybody thought about using something to lube the header pipe so that it fit easier into the muffler pipe. Do yours seem to idle a little quicker now than they did at stock?

·
Registered
708 Posts
It took a hell of a lot work to get them to fit right and thankfully I had another set of hands to help. I was curious what anybody thought about using something to lube the header pipe so that it fit easier into the muffler pipe.
Do the heat shields cover that area? If they do, It wouldn't hurt anything to put a light film of light oil on it to get it to fit but it will smoke for awhile until it burned off. It also may discolor the pipe in that area so make sure the heat shields cover it up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I thought about that, but I still don’t think it would work. If you look at the photo above of the muffler pipes connecting to the header pipe, you will see that the top header pipe is coming down at an angle that makes full insertion possible. The two pipes don’t line up parallel.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yeah I see what you mean. There is a gap at the bottom.
The first and most important thing is to get a good seal on the header..

I don't have your bike so I don't know exactly how the pipes mount to the frame.
On my nomad there are 2 bolts that mount to a bracket on the swing arm.
Once you get the header leak stopped, you may have to wiggle the header and muffler pipe around to get your best fit.
You may even have to shim one of the frame mount bolts to keep the header and muffler pipes aligned properly for a good seal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think you’re right but man I hate to have to shim a system that was made for this bike. I reached out to the company and sent them some photos. Even considering the fact that I am a mechanical newb, the thing just isn’t fitting together properly. I’ll see what they say👍

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Quick update...

I contacted Rush racing and sent them photos. They feel the most likely problem is an improper bend in the rear header pipe. They think the forward header pipe as well as the muffler piece are fine. I’m inclined to agree with them. They have shipped me a new upper header pipe at no charge that should be here in a few days. I already got two new gaskets and plan to pick up some anti-seize for the next attempt at installation. My bike has been disassembled for over a week now which sucks because October is a fine month to ride here in New England, but I will say that Rush Racing has been quick to respond to my emails and seems to be making every attempt to make things right. I’ll let you know how it goes.

rich

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok so install attempt 2.0 today!

looks like everything is squared away. Rush Racing sent me a new pipe and it worked just fine. And this time I waited until my buddy could come over and help me get the header pipes in to muffler body. I did pick up the anti-seize and I skipped the torque wrench. I didn’t tighten too much, and then when I started the motor there was some leakage around gaskets so I tightened a bit more. By no means did I CRANK it down, but I got it snug and tight. No leaks! The joints between header pipes and muffler also solid.

Let the pipes cool, assembled the heat shield, cleaned everything, and fired it up again. No moisture, steam, or smoke from headers.

so for now it looks like all is good. I’ll be keeping a close eye on it the next few times I ride, but thanks to everyone on this board for the great advice, tips and support. The next two projects may have to wait until the bike comes out of hibernation in spring - cobra fuel tuner and PowrFlo air intake. Then I think she’ll be done 👍

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey quick question. Today is the first day I’ve done significant riding since I installed the new exhaust. I’ve been checking and I’ve seen no sign of leakage around headers. But the exhaust smell seems stronger and more rich. That normal?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey quick question. Today is the first day I’ve done significant riding since I installed the new exhaust. I’ve been checking and I’ve seen no sign of leakage around headers. But the exhaust smell seems stronger and more rich. That normal?
When I put my 2in1 Vance and Hines pipes on, I noticed the same thing. I'm guessing the reason it smells stronger is there is no catalytic converter in the new pipes, the stock pipe's have one.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts