Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of driveshaft rubber boot replacement I've removed the whole swing arm.

Now it the time to clean old grease and lube the new one. Thus several questions:

1. Which grease to use?
  2. How much to lube?
  3. Should I lube EXTERNAL side of the propeller shaft as well?
Regarding grease - I've got Valvoline Valvoline Grease VV633. Please see below pics. Will it be OK to use?

Regarding how much - my final gear case end was swamped with grease - see below pics. So what should be a normal amount? - Just to uniformly cover all gears with 1-2mm of grease?

My grease:

My freshly pulled final gear case:

·
Registered
436 Posts
When I pulled my final drive off it didn't have any of that grease in there. The splines were greased, but the cavity wasn't filled in like that, and I don't see that as being necessary. I personally think the grease you have will work fine. I'd grease up the splines and then I typically like to coat the other surfaces just to help eliminate corrosion. I did coat the external surfaces of my drive shaft too with grease for the same reason. Probably flew off after 50 miles but I did it anyway.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I guess I'll clean all of this out and cover gently with new think coat of grease, putting some extra on the gears.

Regarding the grease - I've asked a mechanic and he told me that graphite-bases grease like the one I have would better not to be used for motorcycle drive shafts. So I've brought a regular white-ish color kind.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
OK, I guess I'll clean all of this out and cover gently with new think coat of grease, putting some extra on the gears.

Regarding the grease - I've asked a mechanic and he told me that graphite-bases grease like the one I have would better not to be used for motorcycle drive shafts. So I've brought a regular white-ish color kind.

Thanks for the info!
Graphite grease often has a scrubbing effect, causing wear. best not to use that on bearings.
i completely filled the whole swing arm tube with axle grease when I did my nomad. My thinking was simply that grease flies off a rotating shaft, but if theres no room for it to fly, it will stick to the shaft. Never had to open it up again in the 8 years I owned it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is NOT graphite grease and it will be perfect for your application.
I would recommend a moly grease here.
Thanks for a clear statement. Actually I was also puzzled by the fact that there was no "graphite" word anywhere on the package. The seller stated that its graphite back when I've bought it and together with black-ish color I presumed that that's true.

But in fact description says that its moly-fortified lithium complex, and I've also found some color charts for greases saying that moly-lithium greases are usually gray-black.

So thanks again Sfair for this demystification :)

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
There is no sense in packing the housing with grease because once it has abandon where it belongs, it will not return, even if the housing was packed, so that is just a waste of grease.
Regular maintenance is the only way to ensure long life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts