Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an air pump for motorcycle shocks and each pump of the handle increased air pressure by 2psi. My shocks were set at 22psi (increased to 32psi for 2 up) and that only took 5 pumps of the small little handle. Is that tiny amount of air really going to improve or change anything at all?

·
Registered
578 Posts
It'll make a difference. You can take them up to 42psi max, and don't forget to adjust the damper level for 2up. I run 42psi and damper on 4 for 2 up on my bike.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ty pcarrell....I am set at 32psi and 3...will work up from there to fine tune

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Hmmmm just got my new to me Vaquero 3 weeks ago, and I checked the pressure in shocks. Both are at 0... guess I need to get a air pump and try out different settings

·
Registered
578 Posts
You need a special air pump for these shocks, like the Progressive No Loss Pump. A regular pump will not only be inaccurate, but will likely blow out the shocks, making them useless. It takes VERY LITTLE air to make big changes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have read on a thread that the shocks are set at 0psi as a starting pressure for a rider of approx. 150lbs. As a bi-line, I don't even KNOW a rider at 150lbs, lololol.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I got down to 148 surviving on the slop they feed at the rehab facility. Of course I can't ride yet, and I've already put back on 9 pounds since I came home on the 2nd of this month.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I have read on a thread that the shocks are set at 0psi as a starting pressure for a rider of approx. 150lbs. As a bi-line, I don't even KNOW a rider at 150lbs, lololol.
My wife is well below 150lbs :) But she doesn't ride a bike with air shocks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi all,

You need about 22 psi for a single rider and up to 32 psi for two up.

I never change my shock setting normally set on 3.

It makes a difference as the handling will improve when two up.

Agree with the comments, you need a specialized pump that has the flexible connection and is a no-loss adaptor, don't go over 43 psi as it blows the shocks.

Hope that helps

Russ

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Hi all,

You need about 22 psi for a single rider and up to 32 psi for two up.

I never change my shock setting normally set on 3.

It makes a difference as the handling will improve when two up.

Agree with the comments, you need a specialized pump that has the flexible connection and is a no-loss adaptor, don't go over 43 psi as it blows the shocks.

Hope that helps

Russ
Sounds like a great baseline to start with..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts