Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put V&H twin slash staggered pipes on my 09 with a cobra power pro, K&N filter and baron tach. Love the sound, but it still seems to pop sometimes when I let off the throttle, is that normal? also my tach says at 60mph its turning 3000Rpm, that sounds kinda high to me or that where it should be? also it bounces around a lot at that rpm, 500-700 fluctuations... at idle its right around a 1000rpm and seems pretty steady? is there something wrong or are they just jumpy? thanks in advance

·
Registered
761 Posts
The Barons is not a very steady tachometer fluctuation wise.I have ran them in the past.The Cobra tachometer on the other hand is rock steady,but more expensive.Popping almost seems to be the norm once after market pipes are installed.I am also from Rochester NY.Are you out riding already?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So some popping is normal then? I was thinking pulling a plug to see how it looks before I ride it some and recheck just to make sure its not too lean or too rich. Not any regular riding, I took it out last Monday just for a couple miles, and this Friday I went out to get an oil filter for it rode for about 1/2hour. but now the roads are salt covered again.... -__-

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yes,some popping I guess can be considered normal with aftermarket pipes.?That damn salt is what keeps me off the roads.It will get into places on the bike that you will never get out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes,some popping I guess can be considered normal with aftermarket pipes.?That damn salt is what keeps me off the roads.It will get into places on the bike that you will never get out.
I hear that! I don't even want to drive my truck in the crap... they were pretty clean looking when I went out Friday. we had enough rain and the roads I was on the salt was pretty well washed off, now were back to square one...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Popping is normal on over run on an engine that is running as it should.
However, just because it pops doesn't mean that it is running as it should.

There are so many guys complaining about popping on tuned bikes now that most tuning device companies 'fix' the popping by adding zero fuel on a closed throttle, which isn't always a good thing as it means there is no cooling effect from the unburnt fuel. However too much unburnt fuel is just as bad.

This is a can of worms because there are many theories from home tuners as to what is correct, and it is so easy to adjust a fuel map now.

If you are at all concerned find a tune shop with a dyno and have it setup properly, it is the only way to be sure it's right.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Running the Cobra PowerPro like you are I would feel confident that bike is not running too rich or too lean.It seems to be a damn good tuner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts