Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My name is Steve and I'm living in Kentucky. I have not owned a motorcycle for 15 years and have only owned on/off road bikes. I now want to get a cruiser and the 900 is what I want. I have the chance to buy a 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT with 3000 miles. The cost is $5200.00. The catch is it has a rebuilt title. The bike has been laid down. The windshield and head light were scratched and replaced and there is a scuff on the saddle bag. I haven't seen the bike in person yet. My question is, is this a good enough deal to overlook the cosmetic damage and is $5200.00 a good enough price and what should I look for when looking at the bike to ensure the frame, forks etc aren't bend or damaged. Are there things to look for that will cause me problems down the road? Are there any up sides to buying a rebuilt title bike other than price?
Thanks for your help.
Steve

·
Registered
279 Posts
If I had not ridden for that long, and was not familiar with this class of bike, I would have to think very hard on buying a bike that had been totaled. I would at least find a trusted mechanic to look it over for me.

The front end, frame, engine, and swing arm are all things to be checked. This bike has spoked wheels, and the rim runout also would need to be checked. A good start would be to ask what was replaced during the rebuild, then confirm it. Maybe also look for signs of repair on other parts of the bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would strongly recommend against buying this bike with the rebuilt title. You will never get much out of it when you sell it. There are brand new Vulcan 900's on eBay for $5,699. Left over 09's anyways. I just picked a custom up for $4,900 with on 2k miles. Just my opinion.

Matthew

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would strongly recommend against buying this bike with the rebuilt title. You will never get much out of it when you sell it. There are brand new Vulcan 900's on eBay for $5,699. Left over 09's anyways. I just picked a custom up for $4,900 with on 2k miles. Just my opinion.

Matthew
+1 I just bought an 07 with a clean title, 1800 miles for $4200. They say salvaged titles are worth 1/2 at best, and $5699 is high for a bike with a CLEAN title.

·
Registered
130 Posts
After buying a new bike and being a newb to motorcycles, it is my personal opinion that the price is way too high. I am always looking for the deala nd that is a ripoff. $3k would be my best offer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts