Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I bought a 2012 900 Classic SE, and so the first thing i want to do ..of course.. is look into mods! ;)
I'm a vintage bike wrencher so i everything i know relates to the fact that, the bike has to be re-jetted if you change ANYTHING.. air cleaner, pipes etc...
Obviously my 900 doesnt have carbs, but does it have to be "re-mapped" or anything like that if I add a K&N or change the pipes ? I Was talking to a Harley guy and he said his would need re-mapped if he added a K&N. My experience has only been with vintage hondas and dirt bikes, ths is my first real cruiser.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and i'm basically talking out my "you know what" when i say "re-mapped", i have a basic understanding of what that is but not any real knowledge.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Hi Everyone, I bought a 2012 900 Classic SE, Obviously my 900 doesnt have carbs, but does it have to be "re-mapped" or anything like that if I add a K&N or change the pipes?
Kawasaki did not design their OEM Computer Modules so we could upload new maps! That would be great!! We have to buy after market. Power Commanders accept maps that are designed for your particular components (pipes, intake). Dolbeck TFI's, or Cobra's 2000's (to name a few) are self tweaked using pots (after initial setting according to your components). Some adjust themselves (recommended). What ever you purchase they're only needed if you install less restrictive pipes AND high flow filter, not OR.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro Tuner Auto Tune work great!!

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Hi Everyone, I bought a 2012 900 Classic SE, and so the first thing i want to do ..of course.. is look into mods! ;)
I'm a vintage bike wrencher so i everything i know relates to the fact that, the bike has to be re-jetted if you change ANYTHING.. air cleaner, pipes etc...
Obviously my 900 doesnt have carbs, but does it have to be "re-mapped" or anything like that if I add a K&N or change the pipes ? I Was talking to a Harley guy and he said his would need re-mapped if he added a K&N. My experience has only been with vintage hondas and dirt bikes, ths is my first real cruiser.
Some of the first mods I did was to debaffle the pipes (complete removal), and a K&N filter. With this mod I did not need to add any fuel mgmt system. Air flow was still restricted by the OEM air box, so the fuel/air mix was not too lean. So you should be okay if only adding the K&N.

Once I changed the air intake with an ArlenNess Big Sucker, I did have to add a fuel mgmt system (installed a Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro) to help balance the fuel/air mix. The change really boosted the snap the bike has, and even sounds a bit deeper with more air flow.

As you go through mods, just remember (just like in the old days for re-jetting), the more air the more fuel required as not to run lean.

Have fun....

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, and the great info.
I have the Power Commander V with AutoTune on my Vulcan and I recently installed the Cobra Fi2000 Powrpro on my VTX1800 replacing the PCIII. If I had it to do all over again the Vulcan would have gotten the Powrpro too. It really works.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The basic consensus is that a fuel processor is only needed when you change the intake (more than just a filter, install a complete aftermarket intake) AND the exhaust. Also, the consensus is you get a little more grunt when you do the 'big three' (intake, exhaust, fuel processor)

Good luck! Enjoy! That '12 SE is a GORGEOUS bike. I LOVE the paint scheme and everything on it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts