Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I split the case on a 1999 VN1500A13 in order to replace the oil pump gear which had become stripped when something jammed the oil pump. I cleaned everything up, put the cases back together, installed the right side crankcase bolts, stood the motor up to turn it around for the left side bolts and find on the bench a small steel ball. Damn, where'd that come from. The only place I can find any reference to a BB size ball (maybe slightly smaller than a BB) is the 3 balls under 3rd gear on the countershaft. I didn't remove the transmission gears. Though I did twist the shift drum back and forth trying to understand the gear change process.
My questions: Is there any way for those 3 steel balls under 3rd gear to dislodge themselves without dismantling the countershaft? I would certainly hope not.
Question 2: Is there anywhere else in the crankcase where a BB size steel ball is used? I've searched the parts schematics and haven't found anything.

Thanks...

Additional info:
1. I was told by the previous owner that the bike had been worked on for a 2nd gear problem so someone's been here before me.

2. I found that the oil screen and spring were missing (probably how some foreign object got into the oil pump to jam it. I never discovered what had jammed the oil pump, I was able to free it up, then took it apart, but found nothing that would have caused it to jam). I replaced the pump anyway just to be sure.

3. Found a flat washer lying in the chamber where the oil screen was supposed to be. The washer was larger than the one that's supposed to be there.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Never a good thing when you're finding miscellaneous pieces of metal in the bottom of your engine. However in this case I think you've solved a mystery for me. I took apart an old ratchet to clean it last week and there's a BB size ball bearing in there that got away from me. Looks like you found it for me.:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts