Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am wanting to get a new Vulcan 900 Classic and there are a few dealerships in my area that still have NEW 2012 SE models and I was just wondering if these bikes could have any serious issues since they have sat on the showroom for a while?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ok so I am wanting to get a new Vulcan 900 Classic and there are a few dealerships in my area that still have NEW 2012 SE models and I was just wondering if these bikes could have any serious issues since they have sat on the showroom for a while?

Should be fine... only thing would be to look for cracking on the tires... Has been brought up before...

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If you're going to get a significant deal, then it might be a good option. Ask for an oil change as part of the deal, and brake fluid change, coolant, inspect the tires (I'd ask for new tires), fresh fuel, and a fresh battery.

If the dealer won't do all of this, or is only offering a few hundred dollars off over a later model, I'd take the layer model.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Make sure they haven't been prepped; if they've been sitting dry (i.e. without oil and fluids), they'll be just fine (though, yes, do check the tires). If they have been prepped, determine how long...I'd be concerned if they were prepped back in '12 or '13, and have been sitting on the floor for two or three years with just demo ride now and then...good way for sludge and varnish to build up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought my 2010 in 2013 they had one on the show room floor and one in the crate. They gave me a choice of which one i wanted. I choose the crate. If im not mistaken i think these bikes are shipped dry (no oil, antifreeze, battery acid). If this bike has dunlops for tires, only expect 4-5000 miles out of them. I'm very happy with my 9, and save about $2500 buying a leftover

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Depends on how much you ride and how long you are going to keep the bike. Some people buy and keep a year and sell, some ride them until the wheels fall off, while others sit in their garage for 15 years and only have 2k miles. No criticism on what ever your decisions is, but if plan on "upgrading" soon, then don't jump on it unless you get the deal of a life time. As soon as you leave you will have a 3 year ole used bike. Also financing one can be difficult if you don't have a down payment because once they are so old they are no longer "New" in the banks eyes. I purchased an 08 V2K in 2012 with 0 miles. Bike had been assembled for a ??? amount of time but the tires looked good and I had them put fresh fluids and a new battery in it. I knocked out 7k the first year I owned it and about 3k more on the 2nd year and sold it.

In short, if you are gonna keep it for some time they pour the fuel to it and get a good deal. If you ain't gonna keep it long then don't do it unless it is the same price as a used one that same year.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Make sure they haven't been prepped; if they've been sitting dry (i.e. without oil and fluids), they'll be just fine (though, yes, do check the tires). If they have been prepped, determine how long...I'd be concerned if they were prepped back in '12 or '13, and have been sitting on the floor for two or three years with just demo ride now and then...good way for sludge and varnish to build up.
+1

I just got a 2013 at a significant discount that was built back in march of 2013. It was not prepped until the day I purchased it. Everything is working perfect and no issues with tires or anything like that. Look it over good for scratches. Lots of folks "throw a leg" over those bikes over the course of a few years assuming its been out of the crate that long.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
+2 (or more). I just bought a 2013 that was in the showroom uprepped (dry). That was good. What sucked was having to wait for them to charge the battery to warranty spec (6+ hours). I did inspect the rubber and all looked to be in great condition. I also inspected the fluids which all looked to be "right out of the can/bottle".

My 2 cents:

If the bike has already been prepped then you definitely should ask how long it has been ready to go. If it's been a while then you may want to have them at least throw on a new battery. We all know what happens to batteries that are left to discharge slowly without proper maintenance charge. Most dealerships that I've been to don't fully prep a bike because they don't want the hassle of having to replace things if the bike doesn't move. The only exception that I've experienced was at a local HD dealership. Every bike in the showroom was ready to be fired up.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
For a 2012 leftover it SHOULD be a very significant deal. Not a few hundred bucks.

You've gotten good advice. Don't expect the battery to last long. Take a good look at the tires for sidewall cracking. And fluids are gonna have to go. Regardless of mileage, that's 4 (The bike might be a '12 but it was likely built in 2011) year old brake fluid, oil, etc.

I've bought two leftover bikes now. A 2011 Shadow that we bought in the summer of 2012 (that was probably built in late 2010). It's been a great bike. I changed fluids when I got it home. Saved a couple grand. Battery was shot the second week we owned it. Honda says batteries are a wear item and not covered under warranty; but dealer made it right.

And my 2014 Vaquero was a leftover but the advantage here is that it was still in the crate. In fact, it was assembled the morning I rode it home. So some of the same caveats aren't there. It does make a difference once it's put together, filled with fluids, started, moved in and out of a showroom, sat on, bumped into, etc.

Keep in mind these dealers are paying to keep that bike on the showroom floor, in the form of interest. They generally operate in one of two ways. They either buy the bikes outright, but have a large line of credit with some bank or finance group (this is actually the way my wifes employer operates. She's a property manager / real estate agent and they have a multi-million dollar line of credit. They buy houses like you and I buy lunch. Rent them out, sell 'em, whatever. But the longer they sit and don't rent or sell, the longer they pay interest on them without any return!), or they get them direct from the manufacturer and pay just the interest, balance due when the bike sells (the latter is how most car manufacturers work. Dealers pay an interest fee every month it sits on the lot, but don't actually pay for the car until it's sold).

So, every single month that 2012 bike sits on their lot they are paying for it, one way or another. And even if they are doing well enough to just pay cash for their inventory, they are paying people to clean it, secure it, it's taking up space something else could be sitting on, etc. So don't let them fool you into thinking they are doing you a favor. Leftover bikes, especially ones that old, are a great deal IF it's a great deal. A Classic SE of that year, used, has a low retail of about $4,800, a high of $6,300. You need to be in that range. $5~$6k would be a decent deal. That's what I paid for my leftovers, by the way, a little less than the 'used' price. Below NADA used book value.

Certainly a good opportunity for a good deal though; there's no difference between a 2012 and a 2015.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've bought three new leftover bikes from three different dealers. All were on the showroom floor 'dry'...dealers all kept batteries separate and fresh...no issues.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I bought a new 2011 custom a year ago for $6k out the door, tax, title, pdi etc.included. New Kawi warranty. Bike has been great no issues other than stock seat sucks and Dunlop stock tires are only good for 4-5 k miles. 7,300 miles on it now and it runs great!!

Some peace of mind with having factory warranty and being the first owner. New stock was way too expensive for me and the newer year models are the same except for the paint, buying old stock at the right price is a good option IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the price is at $5999 for 0 miles so I hope that out of the 3 they have on the floor that 1 will be dry. If they are not then I will definitely request a fluid change. My plan if I go with the leftover model is to get that price out the door since they do have 3 SE models and 1 reg classic. I plan on having the cash in my hand to make that deal happen so we will have to see when I do buy. Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well the price is at $5999 for 0 miles so I hope that out of the 3 they have on the floor that 1 will be dry. If they are not then I will definitely request a fluid change. My plan if I go with the leftover model is to get that price out the door since they do have 3 SE models and 1 reg classic. I plan on having the cash in my hand to make that deal happen so we will have to see when I do buy. Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

If the reg classic is the 2012 Candy Arabian Red, get that one. That's about the nicest color a Vulcan has come in, in years. It's as nice as a Harley paint job and sparkles in the sun.

I had a choice between a 2012 in Idaho Falls, and a 2014 in Ontario, OR either for $5995. Ontario being a 40 minute drive, I went with that. But I thought pretty hard about that Candy Red color...

·
Registered
702 Posts

You will be getting a very nice bike for very little money...good luck!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Qwmtn, did you mention a vulcan in the same sentence as a harley? You'll have the harley police on you for that one, She has a light on her computer that flashes when we mention 'harley', be careful........ride on......

·
Registered
761 Posts
Qwmtn, did you mention a vulcan in the same sentence as a harley? You'll have the harley police on you for that one, She has a light on her computer that flashes when we mention 'harley', be careful........ride on......
"She"??? Whoever do you mean?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts