Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum. Have not had a bike in 15 years but thinking of jumping back in. Last bike was a HD Lowrider custom, but don't feel the need for anything that bid. Been doing some research and visiting some dealers in the area.

Looked at the Honda Shadow 750, Moto Guzzi V9, Yamaha V Star 950 and today looked at the Vulcan 900 Custom which was my favorite of all of them.
I went back and looked at the Vulcan 900 again and the more I look the more I am torn between the Custom and Classic, so I had a couple of questions.

I like the overall look of both bikes. I have never owned a bike with floor boards and a heel/toe shifter like the Classic has. Are they difficult to get used to?
Does the narrower front tire on the Custom change the handling dynamics that much compared to the Custom.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey tas,

I can only address one of your queries...and not directly...some say the skinny tire on the custom will follow the grooves in the road a little worse than the fatter classic tire...I cannot attest to that one way or the other...I find pretty much all bike tires follow the grooves to one extent or another...so that didn't even get on the list for me.

In the interests of full disclosure...I have a 2012 Custom...and would not have ever gone for the Classic, aesthetically...for me, its more about the slightly more raked-out chopper look that I got from the Custom. The floor board thing would have been weird for me as well.

I immediately installed a "230" rear tire on my Custom and lowered it 2 inches. That was the look I was going for...within the budget I had for this bike.

I did not want a "bagger" (dressed bike) as I never intended to do any real long distance travelling. I have been known to toss on a backpack at times, to carry extra stuff. Some folks put bags on their Customs...some folks do not make their Classics a bagger...

I also looked at the 750 Shadow. Too small.

I'd love a Victory Hammer.

Really, the choice between the Custom or the Classic is 99.9% aesthetics. Whichever one wins you over in the looks department is the one you should go for.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hi, new to the forum. Have not had a bike in 15 years but thinking of jumping back in. Last bike was a HD Lowrider custom, but don't feel the need for anything that bid. Been doing some research and visiting some dealers in the area.

Looked at the Honda Shadow 750, Moto Guzzi V9, Yamaha V Star 950 and today looked at the Vulcan 900 Custom which was my favorite of all of them.
I went back and looked at the Vulcan 900 again and the more I look the more I am torn between the Custom and Classic, so I had a couple of questions.

I like the overall look of both bikes. I have never owned a bike with floor boards and a heel/toe shifter like the Classic has. Are they difficult to get used to?
Does the narrower front tire on the Custom change the handling dynamics that much compared to the Custom.

Thanks in advance
Opposite for me,like the classic over custom,not fond of the small fender and tire
Loved my classic,looks like a smaller nad,but it is in all what you like:smile2:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I tried to get used to the heel/toe shifter on my Vulcan 900 Classic LT but wasn't able to. I simply repositioned the shifter on the mounting spline shaft so that the heel portion is below the footboard, so that I use only the toe part for both up and downshifts. Some owners have removed the heel portion by cutting it off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
First hill toe shifter for me on my 2012 classic. To tell you the truth I wasn't sure I could do it so I really don't use it that mutch at all. I have started to use it so I don't start leaving the scuff mark on my shoe. Not that bad but you do have to get used to it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey tas,

I can only address one of your queries...and not directly...some say the skinny tire on the custom will follow the grooves in the road a little worse than the fatter classic tire...I cannot attest to that one way or the other...I find pretty much all bike tires follow the grooves to one extent or another...so that didn't even get on the list for me.

In the interests of full disclosure...I have a 2012 Custom...and would not have ever gone for the Classic, aesthetically...for me, its more about the slightly more raked-out chopper look that I got from the Custom. The floor board thing would have been weird for me as well.

I immediately installed a "230" rear tire on my Custom and lowered it 2 inches. That was the look I was going for...within the budget I had for this bike.

I did not want a "bagger" (dressed bike) as I never intended to do any real long distance travelling. I have been known to toss on a backpack at times, to carry extra stuff. Some folks put bags on their Customs...some folks do not make their Classics a bagger...

I also looked at the 750 Shadow. Too small.

I'd love a Victory Hammer.

Really, the choice between the Custom or the Classic is 99.9% aesthetics. Whichever one wins you over in the looks department is the one you should go for.
The front tire on the Custom does not concern me too much as other bikes I have owned have had the "skinny" front tire and don't remember having any real issues with it.

I do not want a "bagger" either, but the Classic does look pretty good as is. I also don't plan on doing any real long distance traveling so bags are not a wanted item.

I think that I am going to have to do a test ride of both to make a choice. Not sure I can get used to the floorboards and heel and toe shifter.

I do agree that that the choice is 99.9% aesthetics.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can't speak to the handling of the smaller front tire of the custom. I have the classic and have always had bikes with a fairly wide front tire. I LOVE my floor boards and would put them on if I didn't. They give a lot of room to move your feet around when on long rides and absorb some of the vibration at faster speeds. I like the heel toe shifter and didn't find much of a learning curve. But if I'm stretched out, I don't use it and just use my shifter as I would on any other bike.

I strongly suggest riding them both and seeing which one fits you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had my Classic for just over a month now - first bike. I 'learned' on a Honda 'Standard' with regular pegs and only the toe shifter. I thought that I would not like the heel/toe or floor boards and almost didn't purchase the Classic because of that. But, it was a demo at a great price and went for it. Now I love the floor boards. Much more comfortable without the loss of control I was expecting. As far as the heel/toe shifter... I tried it for the first week or so that I had it and I didn't mind it, but... I kept hitting the toe shift down when I wanted to go up, but forgot to use the heel shifter - so now I pretty much only use the toe shifter. Up to gear up and down to gear down just seems more natural. I have a friend that absolutely loves the heel/toe - so, to each their own. I would say that you could get used to it and may like it better. I like having the choice so leaving it as is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Heel toe shifter and floor boards

I have had the heel toe shifter on other bikes and it is pretty easy to get used to using it. It is easier to push down with one's heel to shift than to lift the toe shifter.

The biggie is the floor boards. I have had bikes with just the foot pegs and that limits one's posture on the bike. With the floorboards, it is almost like have three different foot pegs to use. My knees appreciate it on long rides.

The saddle bags carry my rain gear and the other a bag of groceries from the store. What is not to like about that.

Looks are important to me, but function is what makes a motorcycle work for me. That is why I ride a Goldwing as well as this newly acquired LT.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had 2 classics. Love the heal/toe shifter and floorboards. I think they make the bike more comfortable on longer rides.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My Kawaski Drifter, Nomad, C50T Boulevard and my Goldwing had the floor boards. I added the floor boards to my 94 VN 750 as well. Sometimes I forget the heel shifter is there. I can see some value of the elimination of the heel shifter as that might allow a rider to fully use the back of the floor boards and not cause damage to the shifter. I don't know if continued pressure from a boot on the heel shifter could cause a problem or not.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I CAN speak on both the wide 16"in front tire and the narrow 21" as I have had both. My bike is a 2009 Custom, but after 2 years I switched the front wheel out for a 16" Classic wheel for the look I wanted to achieve. At the time I didn't notice much of a difference in the feel of the bike in handling. Now a season later my taste has changed again and I switched back to a 21" front wheel like before. Going from the wide to narrow I noticed that the bike seemed to handle much better. It seems to turn "quicker" if that makes sense. I am not a fan of floorboards or heel toe shifter but again that is a personal preference. Just go for the bike that YOU like better. Test drive both and see which one feels better. I will be interested to know what model you like more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I CAN speak on both the wide 16"in front tire and the narrow 21" as I have had both. My bike is a 2009 Custom, but after 2 years I switched the front wheel out for a 16" Classic wheel for the look I wanted to achieve. At the time I didn't notice much of a difference in the feel of the bike in handling. Now a season later my taste has changed again and I switched back to a 21" front wheel like before. Going from the wide to narrow I noticed that the bike seemed to handle much better. It seems to turn "quicker" if that makes sense. I am not a fan of floorboards or heel toe shifter but again that is a personal preference. Just go for the bike that YOU like better. Test drive both and see which one feels better. I will be interested to know what model you like more.
Thanks for your input. Hope to get up to the dealer sometime next week to check both out.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've had them both. Own the custom now. Floorboards or pegs won't matter as you will get used to either in about a week. Pick the bike that you like to look at. That's the one you'll be happy with.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i was in the market for a new bike about 14 months ago and went with a 2015 custom. Best looking bike in the price range that I was after, it fit well, and i found it it be comfortable too.

I have had no issues with the skinny front tire, but watch the tire pressure there, I have noticed if it gets low, it gets wonky quick.

The lack of chrome was a big plus for me as well. I am not a fan of chrome

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i was in the market for a new bike about 14 months ago and went with a 2015 custom. Best looking bike in the price range that I was after, it fit well, and i found it it be comfortable too.

I have had no issues with the skinny front tire, but watch the tire pressure there, I have noticed if it gets low, it gets wonky quick.

The lack of chrome was a big plus for me as well. I am not a fan of chrome
I have to agree it is one of the best looking bikes in its price range. I am also a fan of the lack of chrome.

·
Registered
65 Posts
have you looked at the vulcan S? the vn900C i have has a lot of vibration around 70mph which might distroy your experiance with it. but other than that you will love the maneuverability of the bike

1 - 20 of 46 Posts