Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a poker run yesterday and ran about 150 miles on my bike which is the longest so far I have ridden her. About 120 miles in I was in stop and go traffic for about 5-10 minutes and the temperature light came on. I was able to pull in a gas stations couple minutes later and needed to fill up. I waited a few minutes and left. The light didn't come back on the rest of the trip but I wasn't in stop and go traffic either.

My question is this- is that normal? I thought the radiator would keep it cool in stop and go. If it isn't should I have it looked at or flush the radiator? Would changing the oil help because it's starting to look a little dark in the glass gauge port. I have ridden it locally with no problem for months. I am doing another long run soon and don't want to end up miles away overheated...

Thanks for your advice/ help

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well, its overheating if the light comes on :) Don't know what's the temperature in your place, if its very hot then I assume it's normal for stop n go...You should check thermostat, with bad thermostat coolant can't cycle through the cooling system properly which may cause overheating.
If you have time, it will be a good idea to check radiator and flush it if needed.
1 more thing, don't know if its true, but if you're runnin' rich, engine produces higher temperature and causes overheating, check your MPG.
I gave you few common possibilities, someone with better knowledge may help you more precisely. Hopefully bikerbill will answer to your question

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Pastork3v,

Your bike should never have the Overheat lamp come on during normal driving/riding conditions. Stop-N-Go is 'normal'.

The cooling system on our bikes is quite simple. There are the radiator, coolant cap (filler cap), water pump, thermostat, fan (with switch) and coolant.

Since you say that the radiator fan is working I would first check to see if the radiator fins are clear of debris. Water from an open water hose should do the trick, flush from back-to-front. Don't worry about getting the fan wet.
If that doesn't help make sure that the coolant level is full. The filler cap is under the speedometer. While you are there also check the coolant level in the overflow tank.
Next would be to remove and test the thermostat.

My bet is that either the coolant level is low or the radiator fins are blocked/dirty.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the info. I will do as you say..... Btw rode it today for 70 miles without a hitch.... It was just like normal. Hopefully the radiator just needs washed and or topped off

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
My light never came on but I would get a lot of heat off the engine and the fan would come on quite often. I switched over to a full synthetic oil, flushed the radiator and filled with engine ice. I don't get the heat off the engine like I used to and the fan doesn't come on as much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My light never came on but I would get a lot of heat off the engine and the fan would come on quite often. I switched over to a full synthetic oil, flushed the radiator and filled with engine ice. I don't get the heat off the engine like I used to and the fan doesn't come on as much.
"filled with engine ice":surprise::smile2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts