Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Vulcan Friends! I just purchased the OEM BACKREST for my 2014 VULCAN 900 CUSTOM and was wondering if anyone has one and if the side supports mount over top of the rear plastic strut covers with spacers provided or do you remove the rear left/right plastic stock covers and leave them off? If they are left off the bike.....how does it look with them removed and only the backrest mounted in their place?
Does anyone also have the matching OEM LUGGAGE RACK as well? Is it worth the $$$? How does it look on the bike? Thanks in advance! All of you rock! Keep it safe out there! Have a wonderful day!

·
Registered
347 Posts
This from a purchaser on Amazon: "It's a lower back rest with minimalist design for the Vulcan 900 Custom. It's a bit expensive for something so small, but if you want minimalist then go for it. Think 'tiny and cute' instead of 'bad to the bone'. 'Bad to the bone' would be a nice long, tall sissy bar with flaming skulls on it. This isn't. I would grade the assembly instructions a C-. Photos are grainy, low resolution, and black and white. The instructions are not very clear at points and generalize installation. Instructions say to remove the bike fender covers (strut covers) but it's not very clear you are supposed to put them back on during assembly! Yes- put your bike fender covers / strut covers back on! My advice for the fender covers- which is going to be much more than the included instructions - is to place the fender/strut covers on a flat surface, with the outer side facing the floor. You will need to poke the bolts through the bottom. Stack the spacer and rubber washer on top of each other going through the bolt on the top. Slide the bottom of the fender cover off your flat surface, using your fingers to prevent the bolts from falling through the bottom - and try to install the thing at an angle greater than 90 degrees above level, else the spacer and rubber washer will fall off the end of the bolt. Try not to drop everything on the floor as you approach the fender for install. If you're lucky the spacer and washer won't fall off the bolt and you'll immediately find the screw hole threads- since you won't be able to see anything once you press everything up against the fender. If you can't find the threads - you're out of luck and will probably drop stuff onto the floor. Installing with the luggage rack is even more difficult and can take an hour or more of frustration because the design is minimalist, the parts altogether are a bit heavy, and nothing about the design is user-friendly regarding installation. Last thing: a small rack and small sissy bar means a small sissy bag. Know these things in advance and don't regret the purchase later!"

So it sounds like you do put the 2 strut covers back on during the install...good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts