Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I know the Vulcan S has a fuel capacity of 3.7 gallons but whenever I go to fuel up, it's always about 2.6 gallons on the screen that went in.
I typically fuel up when the range on my tank just turns into "---" and the meter is blinking. MPG average per the odo is 46 and I tend to average 110-120 per tank. Range estimate after is usually 150-160.

The bike is always on its kickstand with the bars turned to the right when fueling up.
Is this normal or am I just getting faulty readings?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I have a VN2K. Low fuel light comes on with at least a gallon, or bit more, still left in the tank.

For you, a gallon left is a big percentage of the tank. VN2K tank is supposed to be ~5.5 gal so a fill at the low fuel light is around 4.5 gallons. Most I've ever put in is 5.3 gallons. Was worried, but didn't have to walk. That's the main thing. LOL.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My last segment starts flashing when I have nearly a gallon left. I have gone 207 miles on a tank during a day of average riding around.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mine is almost always right around 3.0 gallons (on sidestand, bars locked left, fuel reaching the filler), and the display then tells me I have 170 miles of range. I average 52mpg per the display.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Great MPG

Mine is almost always right around 3.0 gallons (on sidestand, bars locked left, fuel reaching the filler), and the display then tells me I have 170 miles of range. I average 52mpg per the display.
best I get is 46MPG. Just filled up with Ethanol free to see if that improves it enough to be worth the price difference.:grin2:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm 175lbs and ride mostly in town. The KVS is geared better for 45 mph than 60+ :).

I rarely rev high and typically shift at 5k, running at ~4k. Even with traffic and stoplights my in-town stuff is almost always right at 52mpg with regular E10 / 87 octane.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I replaced my front sprocket with a 16 tooth and my mileage is better. I almost always get between 55 and 60 mpg. I typically keep the tach at between 4-5k rpm. 207 mile range is right around 56 mpg.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
well that s probably it

I'm 175lbs and ride mostly in town. The KVS is geared better for 45 mph than 60+ :).

I rarely rev high and typically shift at 5k, running at ~4k. Even with traffic and stoplights my in-town stuff is almost always right at 52mpg with regular E10 / 87 octane.
I usually shift by redline but always by the time I hit the Rev limiter:devil2:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow...

I replaced my front sprocket with a 16 tooth and my mileage is better. I almost always get between 55 and 60 mpg. I typically keep the tach at between 4-5k rpm. 207 mile range is right around 56 mpg.
That is excellent gas mileage. I'm a "BigBoy" so I get mileage in the 40s...:smile2:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I don't own a 650 S so I have to ask. Does this bike use a sensor on the front wheel to measure mph? My VN900 and VN1700 both read transmission rpm and calculate ground speed from that. So If I were to change either pulley (belt drive on both), that would throw the ground speed calculation off (or correct it, depending on the original state). That would affect the speedometer and odometer readings, affecting any mpg calculations.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
best I get is 46MPG. Just filled up with Ethanol free to see if that improves it enough to be worth the price difference.:grin2:
The numbers I've seen are 3-4% reduction in mileage on E10 vs pure gas. This more or less aligns with my observations. Obviously there can be some exceptions. But, pretty much never can it be more loss in mileage than the % of ethanol since ethanol does contribute to the energy content of the fuel, just not quite as much as pure gasoline.

So, just in easy numbers, if the cost of pure gas is around 5% or higher than E10, despite that your MPG went up, your cost per mile for gas will be more too, not less.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Actually

The numbers I've seen are 3-4% reduction in mileage on E10 vs pure gas. This more or less aligns with my observations. Obviously there can be some exceptions. But, pretty much never can it be more loss in mileage than the % of ethanol since ethanol does contribute to the energy content of the fuel, just not quite as much as pure gasoline.

So, just in easy numbers, if the cost of pure gas is around 5% or higher than E10, despite that your MPG went up, your cost per mile for gas will be more too, not less.

It didn't change 1 mpg for the tank oh well. Since I never know which ride will be my last I go for the gusto so really I am not concerned over fuel economy as long as I can afford the gas I'm gonna let those ponies run:devil2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I typically average 2.2-2.6 gallons around 32MPG, the highest being 38 MPG. It was under 30, but I attribute that to the engine not being broken in yet. I'm eager to see what my next fill up will be now that I have the break-in oil out of it and Amsoil in its place

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It didn't change 1 mpg for the tank oh well. Since I never know which ride will be my last I go for the gusto so really I am not concerned over fuel economy as long as I can afford the gas I'm gonna let those ponies run:devil2:
Appreciate all the input! Totally agree with you there. I regularly put in 91 and I managed a meagre 100 miles on a round trip yesterday that was about 52 miles of open freeway sitting at 6-7K RPMs and 48 miles on canyon roads. Varying RPMs there:grin2:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I typically average 2.2-2.6 gallons around 32MPG, the highest being 38 MPG. It was under 30, but I attribute that to the engine not being broken in yet. I'm eager to see what my next fill up will be now that I have the break-in oil out of it and Amsoil in its place
That's terrible gas mileage even for a non-broken in bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When filling up. I always sit astride my bike and keep it vertical.

I also only fill the tank to the level of that metal plate inside. Does anyone fill it to the bottom of the filler neck? Should one do that or is a there some safety reason not to?

When my low fuel light comes on,(250-260kms) I can just about pump 13 litres into it.(up to the metal plate). Tank capacity is stated as 20 litres

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I'm about 260 and routinely get that (the 32) or a bit better on my VN2K. I don't hammer it all the time but by the same token I don't let those 2053ccs go to waste either. :smile2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts