Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 2006 LT with 13K miles. I am planning for a 1000 Km solo touring program. I have checked everything on the bike and made sure all are OK for a long trip. Just one thing is worrying me. Recently i put the "dirt cheap ebay pipes" on it, since i got it for $46/-:eek: There is no protection from the heat on the pipe, so i put some titanium wraps and no heat shields yet (coz i might be upgrading to V&H as soon as i have $). Even after the wrapping the pipe is hot (than normal) as soon as i start riding. Never bothered this as all my riding were inside city (12km a day).

Now when it comes to a long trip,
1. Will it (exhaust heat) make any problem to the engine? (I am planning for a 300km ride per day).
2. Or better, i should put my stock pipes back?

Rg,

cv

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
If you are not sure switch back to stock pipes. Better safe than sorry.

Otherwise IM Romans 5.8 on this site. He has ridden a 900 for a long time.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The stock pipes underneath the heat shields get hot as all bejeezus. Changing your pipes can change the temp of your exhaust gasses by reducing it if the design is more free-flowing, or raising it if the design is less free-flowing. It's not a huge difference, especially when you have only a single cylinder feeding each pipe.

The only problem you'll have from the pipes being hot is if you touch them. Don't touch them lol

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
The only problem you'll have from the pipes being hot is if you touch them. Don't touch them lol
plus 1 ... heat shields are for human protection and cosmetics, so you don't see a crappy, thin piece of pipe or burn yourself.

check your oil, tire pressures and for anything loose that may vibrate off the bike.. A 1000 kms is a day ride for some. Take breaks and keep hydrated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you guys for the replies

A 1000 km is the maximum i can do in my country:D so i split it into 3 days clubbed with some camping and other activities.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Enjoy! I love touring on my 900. Make sure to stay hydrated!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
thank you Romans5.8

:rolleyes: hydrated :liquor:
Having worked in the Middle East for years the thought of a clogged air filter comes to mind. Have you replaced it for the trip or at least blown out the sand and dust? If your bike came with a PAIR system that injects air into the exhaust ports then I would plug those hoses and you might find the pipes won't be quite so hot. There are many posts here on "marbling" the PAIR system. Do a search.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
sojourner, thanks for the input, will check that.

BTW you being in Thailand, have you heard about these kind of trips, particularly this? are these kind people and place safe to deal with?

http://www.classic-bike-india.com/tour-overview/thailand-motorcycle-tours.html
The outfit in India is, no doubt, farming their Thailand tour out to a local company here. Probably in Chiang Mai. I have contacted my spies here to find out who's offering this package. You'll save the cut the India company would be taking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts