Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on this forum for awhile, but this will be my first post. I last had a bike about 9 years ago, and my wife has agreed that when she finishes nursing school in April I can get another. I have spent the last year dreaming, and obsessing about motorcycles. I really love the the Vulcan 900, and I was hoping you good folks would address a concern I have regarding the Vulcan 900? My concern is the lack of ABS. I listen to every motorcycle podcast there is, and belong to a lot of Facebook groups, and I've heard several people talk about an accident they were involved in and how either ABS saved their hide, or how the accident they had wouldn't have been so bad if they would've had ABS. I feel like the Vulcan 900 would be perfect for me, but I have a very real concern about it not having ABS. What is your thoughts on ABS, and the 900's lack of it? I really do think the Vulcan 900 is a perfect bike! I just wish it had ABS! Can someone please convince me it's something I don't need so I can keep the dream of owning a Vulcan 900 LT alive? Or is it something that I really do need? I'd really appreciate everyone's input on this.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been riding a Vulcan 900 for about 5 years. I probably put 7500 miles s year on it. I've never had an incident where i felt that abs was the answer. Like you, I too have heard stories about abs. Both for and against it. In my own opinion, I don't see any real benefit to having it on the 900. I ride in most weather conditions. Not in snow though. I've never had any troubles with wheels locking up or even loss of traction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had the same concerns about ABS before I bought my 900 Classic LT. I think ABS might be better, but I've had no difficulty without it. Did your previous bike have ABS? If it didn't, how were you at handling the brakes without it? Like SAB612, I've had no real issues without it, except in the beginning. Early on, I locked up the rear tire twice coming to a stop. I went out to a parking lot and practiced hard braking (emergency stops) until I got a much better feel for balancing the front and rear brake. I've had no problems since then. I've read reviews about the Vulcan 900 having weak brakes. I have no idea what they were talking about. I can stop really hard if required, and have used this a couple of times in traffic. So, I think I'd like to have ABS, but I don't seem to need it, and it didn't stop me from buying my Vulcan 900. For a none ABS bike, I think it has really nice braking, fairly easy to get a feel for.

I wanted to add this, I've never ridden a bike with ABS, so i really have no idea what that would feel like.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a classic and have never really thought about ABS, the bike and braking system works great for me. I put a couple hundred miles on my bike each week during the summer months and have never had an issue.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I really love the the Vulcan 900, and I was hoping you good folks would address a concern I have regarding the Vulcan 900? My concern is the lack of ABS.
None of the bikes it competes with in its class or price range have ABS. The Honda Shadow still has a rear drum brake. The Yamaha Bolt has less suspension travel and no abs.

So, it really don't matter that the VN900 doesn't have ABS. You either like the VN900 for what it is or, move on to something "sportier", and more costly in both purchase price and cost of ownership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with Du- Ron. If it's peace of mind for your wife, I'd have to say look at another model bike. But, if you're both happy and comfortable with the 900, it's s great low cost bike that'll give you plenty of smiles per mile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 900 was my first bike almost 12 years ago and i still have it. I have over 30k on the 900 with an estimate 6k in rain or wet conditions and the lack of abs does not concern me. Once you put on better tires then the stock ones it is very rare to lock up the rear and even on the custom it is hard to lock the front tire even in panic stops. i have rode bikes with abs and it was a plus but the main difference is they have more powerful brakes which makes it easier to lock up the brakes. I would not worry about lack on abs on the 900 since the brakes are well balanced between power and traction.

The stock dunlaps and 7 year old metzlers were the only times i had issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts