Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this this may sound like a dumb question, but none of my friends have been able to answer it to my satisfaction. What are the advantages of replacing the stock pipes on V900 besides being louder? More power? How much? Better gas milage? How much? Are they cooler or hotter? I want something with good heat shields. Gas milage & power are the most important to me, with temp coolness & noise being last. I'd love to see pixs of various pipes on the 900, the most I ever see are pixs of the pipes by themselves....kinda hard to imagine what they'll look like.

What influenced you to make a decision on your purchase & are you happy? Is there anything you don't like or could be better?

I'll get a lot of guff for this one, but it seems like a lot of money to fork out just to increase the noise :)

Linda

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I never put my bike on a dyno but I can feel that it performs better since I changed the exhaust. Right after I added the Cobras (1200 miles ago) I found myself saying things like, "I didn't know it would go that fast in second gear." You know, less restrictive airflow and all that jazz.

Mileage has crept up slightly (just under 1 mpg on average) since the change. I went from Cobra standard baffles to the quiet core baffles to calm them down a little. No noticeable change in performance but they aren't quite as loud now which is fine with me. I keep saying I'm going to take a video and put it on youtube but honestly I don't know if anybody will be able to tell a difference from a video.

Anyway, I changed exhaust because I wanted a different look, better performance, and something that didn't sound as wimpy. No fuel processor or new intake yet but they are on my wish list. This was the first time I've put aftermarket exhaust on a bike I own and I'm glad I did it.

Cobra Slashdowns on a Classic:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have Cobra Speedster Shorts on mine. I only went with those because I got a deal on a set for $175, however, I am NOT dissapointed with them. They are quite loud with the stock baffles, but I came from Harley's so I'm used to it.
The only two engine related mods on have on the bike are the pipes and the Scootworks Overdrive pulley. What I have noticed with them is this, the pulley reduced, or probably more accurately brought into line, the mileage from 52-53mpg down to 44-45mpg, but the pipes brought it back up to 48-49 mpg. There is also a reported 5% increase in hp according to Cobra and that is without a fuel processor (I can feel a dfference in pull) offers up to 12% with the Cobra fi2000r fuel processor.

Here is a pic for reference on my '08 classic lt:

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I like the look of the Cobra's on the blacked out Custom SE. I've gone the route adding the BAK, PCV with the AutoTune and removed the secondary throttle plates. There's a substantial improvement in power and I didn't notice much difference in mileage...if I behave myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
My Custom came with cobra swepts when I bought it, plus a Baron BAK and a DYNO-BOOST Fuel Controller. Performance is good and can still get good fuel economy with a moderate throttle.

·
Registered
987 Posts
pipes

:cool:I went a different route with my 900C and put a 2into1 pipe on to reduce weight and give more clearance for the passenger pegs. Since that, I have pulled the 2 up seat and made the bike into a bar crawler, but the benefits of having the aftermarket pipe are still there. More power, small gain in mileage, and noticeable weight loss on right side.:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
976 Posts
Differences, Last year I was getting about 45 mpg and this year I was lucky to get 40. Difference????? I had my gutted OEM's on last year and put the spare full set on over the winter.

Monday, getting ready for a big trip, I had to poll the pipes off so I could check the Swingarm bolt that is right behind them and some other things I was doing, including lubing the swingarm. Since the pipes were off, I stuck the gutted pipes on. Now, these aren't loud but they are louder then stock. As far as putting a clip up on the internet so you can see the difference I've done that, and you can't tell. Most recorders have auto limiters and so the loudness is the same. You can tell a difference in tone. The gutted OEM's sound like congo drums to me. The sound on the highway reminds me of the Mustang in Bullit, so I like it.

Now I'd always thought I gained some umph with the gutted pipes but yesterday on the way home, I proved it to myself. There is a stretch of highway on the way home after I merge from one highway to the next. It's an uphill ramp and then the next mile and a half is a mild incline. Tuesday, with like weather and humidity, I was trying to get around a couple of slow pokes in the left lane and getting back around them I had problems getting over 85 mph not quite making it to 90. I wasn't complaining, it was more then enough to get around these idiots that want to drive 10-15 mph slower then the speed limit and have no reservations about driving off after someone runs up behind them and runs over me in the process. I won't be their bumper.

Yesterday, had about the same thing and swung around another vehicle the same way and did some mild weaving. Thought to myself, wow EVERYONE is driving slow today. Looked down and yes, everyone WAS driving slower then me. Course I was just shy of 105 on this inclined highway. I'd always thought I was just thinking it was going faster because it made more noise. I always did notice the lack of power when I swap to the quiter pipes. But yesterday was enough hard proof in performance to show me there is more umph in there. kinda makes me want to go back to quite as I can't trust my wrist anymore then I can trust my ingrown lead foot. We'll see bout that.

My configuration is a BAK. G-Man Bulley fuel controller. Cruise is set to one step above factory (if you have one Green is set at slow blink) mild accell is set 2 clicks higher (Amber is 1 and 2 lit) and Red is set at 3.

My Gutted OEM's have the back of the muffler can removed along with the inner pipe but the front of the muffler can is still in there so the exhaust has that 1 inch hole up there just past the Catalytic converters, they are not fully open pipes. I've heard you lose too much torque doing that, I don't have any firsthand experience.

I'll know more about mileage after I get back from the trip to Oshkosh next week. I will be pulling a trailer but I also will be caravaning which tends to smooth out my riding and getting me better mileage. Last years trip down to Eureka Springs got me a high of 53 mpg. Best mileage I've had on a non trailer group ride was 55 mpg. If I'm not at WOT I get much better mileage.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I never put my bike on a dyno but I can feel that it performs better since I changed the exhaust. Right after I added the Cobras (1200 miles ago) I found myself saying things like, "I didn't know it would go that fast in second gear." You know, less restrictive airflow and all that jazz.

Mileage has crept up slightly (just under 1 mpg on average) since the change. I went from Cobra standard baffles to the quiet core baffles to calm them down a little. No noticeable change in performance but they aren't quite as loud now which is fine with me. I keep saying I'm going to take a video and put it on youtube but honestly I don't know if anybody will be able to tell a difference from a video.

Anyway, I changed exhaust because I wanted a different look, better performance, and something that didn't sound as wimpy. No fuel processor or new intake yet but they are on my wish list. This was the first time I've put aftermarket exhaust on a bike I own and I'm glad I did it.

Cobra Slashdowns on a Classic:

Thought I recognized this bike from another thread. The before/after video you posted of your exhaust swap is a good one. It's a great example of the sound difference.

·
Registered
126 Posts
:cool:I went a different route with my 900C and put a 2into1 pipe on to reduce weight and give more clearance for the passenger pegs. Since that, I have pulled the 2 up seat and made the bike into a bar crawler, but the benefits of having the aftermarket pipe are still there. More power, small gain in mileage, and noticeable weight loss on right side.:cool:

I am contemplating 2-1 as well - my question is what, if any, performance gains can I expect vs debaffled stock pipes on a VN900?

I currently have a BAK and I plan on adding a PowerPro Tuner regardless of the route with pipes I choose.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Ibusam, if you search on the 900 picts thread you will see almost every exhaust on the bike there is..

The change is mostly for looks and sound. The HP gains are few, and for everything I have read the best performance comes from 2-into-1 pipes. To truly free up a few more horses you would also have to do the intake and use an EFI management system, and you are still taking 10 to 12hp at best.

Extra Hp is most likely going to cost a bit of MPG. But a well tuned EFI management unit should make sure the bike runs efficient (best HP for the fuel).

But mostly is a looks and sound change. So look at the picts and find something you like (looks and sound wise). Lots of videos on YouTube to hear them.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Thought I recognized this bike from another thread. The before/after video you posted of your exhaust swap is a good one. It's a great example of the sound difference.
Thanks. I saw a couple of before/after videos like that with other exhaust systems and wanted to try it. My video is with the standard Cobra baffles. I really don't know if anyone would be able to tell a difference between those and the quiet core baffles based on a youtube video which is why I keep dragging my feet about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently installed Cobra Speedster Shorts. I have this feeling that there is a leak, although, I cannot determine it a 100%. I get quite a lot of popping. Took the bike to my mechanic and he checked it out and said there is only a slight leak and that it should not be a problem. He asked me to re-tighten the head bolts (bolts to attach the head pipes to the exhaust port) when my bike is "stone cold". I did that but still have this 'feeling' that there might be a leak.

When I looked closely, I noticed that the head pipes do not sit flush against the exhaust ports. There is probably a gap of about 1/2 an inch or less. Is this normal? Do your bikes have this gap?

Thanks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
1. I am not sure why you post your issue here. Seems to be a separate thread to me. But anyways...

2. There should be no leak. Even a small leak will develop over time to get worst. The gasket and pipes should fit against the head flush.

3. On mine there is a clamp, and if what you see is the gap from the clamp to the head thats normal. Maybe you can take a pict and post it so we can see what you are seeing.

I recently installed Cobra Speedster Shorts. I have this feeling that there is a leak, although, I cannot determine it a 100%. I get quite a lot of popping. Took the bike to my mechanic and he checked it out and said there is only a slight leak and that it should not be a problem. He asked me to re-tighten the head bolts (bolts to attach the head pipes to the exhaust port) when my bike is "stone cold". I did that but still have this 'feeling' that there might be a leak.

When I looked closely, I noticed that the head pipes do not sit flush against the exhaust ports. There is probably a gap of about 1/2 an inch or less. Is this normal? Do your bikes have this gap?

Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the Bub Jug Huggers on my bike and I like the sound. Don't know about the power or mileage but it seems to perform alright and mileage wise I get a little over 50 mpg.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hey Graybush, I see you have the MCE backrest. I also have that one (I ordered the Cobra and sent it right back when I saw how the brackets looked against the molded stanchions). I've had mine on since mid-'07 and I noticed that within about 2 months specs of rust started showing up. I have been completely unable to stop this thing from rusting. It's the only chrome on the bike with this problem and I was wondering if you had any issues with yours. Problem is, it's the only back rest that looks like it was made for the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts

Thanks.
First, did your mechanic install the Cobra's? Did he replace the old O ring crush gaskets before installing the new pipes? Start there. Next, take a marble or a wirenut and plug the hose starting at the back of the air cleaner and going to the secondary air supply solenoid located under the fuel tank. This will prevent fresh air from mixing with the exhaust gases just past the exhaust valves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts