Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off my OEM exhaust on my 09 900LT to get it ready for my new cobra longs that will be here wed. So my questions is...i thought i would see o2 sensors but did not, 8 bolts and the exhaust came right off. Now i take it that the cobra's don't take a 02 sensor? All im changin is just the exhaust for right now, so if anyone has any feedback on the coba long over the the stock exhaust it would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
782 Posts
You are correct that there are no O2 sensors on the 900s. The Cobras should bolt right back up using the same frame mount that the stock pipes attached to. And other than just looking nicer, the Cobras should be deeper and louder than the stock exhaust. As long as you haven't put on an aftermarket air intake like a Barons Big Air, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, Kuryakin, etc., then you do not need a fuel controller. There are several people running Cobra or other brand exhaust with the K&N stock filter replacement and they haven't needed a fuel computer either.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Jeep...that what i needed to know, and i am adding a k&n replacement filter and i was thinking of doing the marble thing but that only depends on how much popping i get. I love my 9 just the way it is! I just wanna be herd over the over priced, not so american made harley's i ride with. lol

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
You are correct that there are no O2 sensors on the 900s. The Cobras should bolt right back up using the same frame mount that the stock pipes attached to. And other than just looking nicer, the Cobras should be deeper and louder than the stock exhaust. As long as you haven't put on an aftermarket air intake like a Barons Big Air, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, Kuryakin, etc., then you do not need a fuel controller. There are several people running Cobra or other brand exhaust with the K&N stock filter replacement and they haven't needed a fuel computer either.
Not so fast. The Vulcan's have O2 sensors for the California bikes as well as European, Australian and Thailand marketed bikes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm running Cobra Speedster Shorts and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker on my 07 900 Classic and love it. I do have the Cobra FI2000R but I'm not that happy with it, however, at the time it was the best I could do. My two complaints with the FI2000R are that the set-up is very unscientific...keep tweaking the pot for the particular performance level (idle and normal speed, quick acceleration from normal speed, and hi-speed) until performance drops off and than back the pot off...Hmmmmm; the other issue is that no matter what I do with the fuel management adjustments I can not completely get rid of the popping. Somebody suggested that if I had popping I had a leak so I replaced the exhaust gaskets even though I had been very careful with the original installation and sure enough...No Change! Others have suggested that only marbling will completely get rid of the popping but I have not gone down that path yet. In the end, if I were doing it again, and could scrounge some extra money I would look for a better fuel management system but I would have to rely on users of such systems to advise on how each one performs and if they give better results than the Cobra 2000. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I'm running Cobra Speedster Shorts and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker on my 07 900 Classic and love it. I do have the Cobra FI2000R but I'm not that happy with it, however, at the time it was the best I could do. My two complaints with the FI2000R are that the set-up is very unscientific...keep tweaking the pot for the particular performance level (idle and normal speed, quick acceleration from normal speed, and hi-speed) until performance drops off and than back the pot off...Hmmmmm; the other issue is that no matter what I do with the fuel management adjustments I can not completely get rid of the popping. Somebody suggested that if I had popping I had a leak so I replaced the exhaust gaskets even though I had been very careful with the original installation and sure enough...No Change! Others have suggested that only marbling will completely get rid of the popping but I have not gone down that path yet. In the end, if I were doing it again, and could scrounge some extra money I would look for a better fuel management system but I would have to rely on users of such systems to advise on how each one performs and if they give better results than the Cobra 2000. Good luck.
Getting rid of the PAIR system (marbling) will go a long ways towards eliminating the decel popping. Remember, the PAIR system introduces O2 into the exhaust system specifically to burn off any unspent gas (POP!).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts