Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have A 2004 V2k and have been given a set of bags off of a 2009 HD RK
my question is does anyone know of a how to on these bags I have seen only one V2K with them and thought it looked good.
I feel for the price I should atleast see if there is a kit or a how to mount them
any help would be appreciated
thanks Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would stand my bike up straight and place the bags on blocks beside the bike and use 1'' styrofoam and sheets of card board to attain the correct height. Then I would get chrome spacers/grommets from Menards to span the space between the bike and the bags. mount the bags using Hard Bolts (gr8) and fender washers on the inside. You most likely will want to put a bracket on the lower rear of the bags to hold them together so they do not shake so much. You can get the U shaped bracket from most bag suppliers. I know Tsukayu has them but I made my own. Make sure to leave at least 1" or more head space above the exhaust for a heat shield. Start blocking/leveling on the exhaust side then even up the other to match.

·
Registered
659 Posts
My buddy has a'96 RK and I really like the bags on it and started looking for some a while back. If they mount the same way they did then the bag "snaps" or rests on a metal bar on the bottom which supports the weight and is only held in the back (bike side) with a couple of pins. The big difference between his RK and my 2000 is his dual exhaust and mine stacked on one side. Makes evening up the bags difficult. If you come up with a good way to mount them let us know please.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I am hoping since I have installed the freedom slash down pipes that will help with the install.
I have scored these bags for free and just can't seem to find a how to on installing them so all ideas are appreciated.
The guy that gave them to me just had stretched bags installed on his RK and all I have to do is get lids and whatever I need to install them to my V2k
Thanks again
mike

·
Registered
659 Posts
Oh yeah, you're in like Flynn with those pipes. I have the Cobra's that come out past the axle adjuster. They look good but make putting any kind of large bags on a headache. I've got another thread going looking for some exhaust info. and hopefully can fab up some like the Santee LAF pipes. Worst case scenario there's a guy one county over who is a wizard at pipe bending but he ain't cheap. You got a heck of a deal on the bags, hope you can make them work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well got the and lids unfortunately they don't come with hardware hinges, latches, gasket, etc but with the lids I think I can fab up a bracket pretty easy but the hardware just isn't in the budget for a little while so while I wait I started a little project to get rid of the blue color on the best and decided to go with flat black even though its such a common color I like it and here is what I came up with

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

a couple more I have installed the Kong 16" bars freedom pipes and iso grips so far and enjoy the heck out of every upgrade still a few more things to go but patience is key lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well I ended up getting the edge brackets I like the quick detach option and my hardware should be here next week hopefully here are a couple pics still need to paint the lids but turned out ok I think

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

hoping a bak and if I can get a fairing for the huge headlight in the future

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not sure I figured Kawasaki since they were on there when I bought the bike one of the reasons I flat blacked it when it was blue couldn't hardly see em

1 - 12 of 12 Posts