Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom SE with stock everything.... I am wanting to find out if anyone has done this yet, and ask of their results...

I want to get a hypercharger for it, as well as debaffle the stock exhaust pipes, and get a power commander.

What kind of power commander would you recommend to get?
Any comments or advice about my endeavor are surely welcome! :cool:

·
Registered
711 Posts
You should be fine with the PCIII. PCV only if you're gonna add those accessories that are available for it. I will recomend upgrading the exhaust to though. I debaffle mine back in 2007 and sounded good but when you rev high it sounds untuned. Save your time and just go for the pipes as well. You'll be happy in the long run.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Her 900 has a PC 111 Hard Chrome 2-1 and the Baron Big Air kit.... I had put the Hypercharger on my V2K earlier but after bangin my shin like every time i have to brake on the the corner of the Hypercharger i decided she wouldnt be happy if it happened to her. Just wanted you to know the thing kinda sticks out there .. The performance is probably about the same.. Bulldozer

·
Registered
39 Posts
GT I have a 2010se with debaffled exhaust, hypercharger and a PC III. Together they work fine. Purchasing all at once is expensive hense the stock debaffled exhaust for now. I did notice more power all the way up but more so on the bottom end. I did run my exhaust for awhile before I got the hypercharger and PCIII so YES I did notice a difference NOT just a noise thing. As for the hypercharger it does stick out further but I don't hug the tank either, maybe its a height/riding postion thing. I'm 5'10 and I quess you could say I ride relaxed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, thanks to everyone for the tips and advice... I was not really wanting to get aftermarket exhaust - not yet, anyways. I just wanted my bike to be louder... right now you could sneak up on someone before they know you are there... I want them to hear me coming! :eek:

I am 5' 8" tall and have a slight concern that the hypercharger may stick out a bit too far and I will hit my leg on it. I do not "hug the tank" as it has been mentioned... but I dont wanna bump it repeatedly when I turn, brake, get on or off, etc. :mad: I am thinking it will probably be fine... but.......

For those who have a hypercharger, how much farther does it stick out as opposed to the stock?? :confused:

(This is his girlfriend typing this... so, I highly apologize if it doesn't make complete sense! I dont know all about this stuff as you guys do!!! :rolleyes: ;) )

·
Registered
864 Posts
It probably sticks out 4in. more than the Baron at least thats what i would guess since its on my V2K. I actually only hit my shin on it when i go for the brake hard ( since i live in S. America it happens often there is always a taxi or truck load of cows pullin out in front of me ) I also have to spend alot of time explainin that its not a Super Charger.. Off subject, sorry.. It does look really cool, and for the nay sayers im not a tank hugger either whatever that is.... Only my opinion but i got alot of shin bruises to prove it.... Tank Hugger who said that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well, thanks to everyone for the tips and advice... I was not really wanting to get aftermarket exhaust - not yet, anyways. I just wanted my bike to be louder... right now you could sneak up on someone before they know you are there... I want them to hear me coming! :eek:

I am 5' 8" tall and have a slight concern that the hypercharger may stick out a bit too far and I will hit my leg on it. I do not "hug the tank" as it has been mentioned... but I dont wanna bump it repeatedly when I turn, brake, get on or off, etc. :mad: I am thinking it will probably be fine... but.......

For those who have a hypercharger, how much farther does it stick out as opposed to the stock?? :confused:

(This is his girlfriend typing this... so, I highly apologize if it doesn't make complete sense! I dont know all about this stuff as you guys do!!! :rolleyes: ;) )

I am 5'8" and I went with an Arlen Ness Big Sucker. For me it seems to be in the perfect position. My right knee is just behind the intake and doesn't rub on it at all unless I lean forward for a tight turn. I'm very happy with the sound and performance of it too.

As far as the fuel management system, I went with a Power Commander USB III. Its more money but allows you to make fine adjustments to your fuel load all the way up through the power band. With other systems (like the Cobra Fi2000) you can only adjust the general low, mid, and high rpms. With the PC III you have the ability to adjust from 0% throttle position all the way to 100% at every rpm. This comes in handy as I found that I needed to add fuel from 0% to 5% throttle once I added the Big Sucker to stop the exhaust from popping. The only downside to the PC III is that you can't use it with an Apple :( . If I didn't have a Dell for work I'd be screwed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here are some pics and measurements for comparison. LOL on the tank hugger Bulldozer. I must admit I am a "garage" tank hugger but only during the winter when I can't ride!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Here are some pics and measurements for comparison. LOL on the tank hugger Bulldozer. I must admit I am a "garage" tank hugger but only during the winter when I can't ride!
Thanks for the pics. They are very usefull. What kind of exhaust and fuel management system are you using?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I am 5'8" and I went with an Arlen Ness Big Sucker. For me it seems to be in the perfect position. My right knee is just behind the intake and doesn't rub on it at all unless I lean forward for a tight turn. I'm very happy with the sound and performance of it too.

As far as the fuel management system, I went with a Power Commander USB III. Its more money but allows you to make fine adjustments to your fuel load all the way up through the power band. With other systems (like the Cobra Fi2000) you can only adjust the general low, mid, and high rpms. With the PC III you have the ability to adjust from 0% throttle position all the way to 100% at every rpm. This comes in handy as I found that I needed to add fuel from 0% to 5% throttle once I added the Big Sucker to stop the exhaust from popping. The only downside to the PC III is that you can't use it with an Apple :( . If I didn't have a Dell for work I'd be screwed.
Get the bike dyno'd tuned by a professional, this is about a $250 process, there is a thread on here regarging this, air kit, pipes, processor, from 41 hp at the rear wheel to 55hp and the bike actually runs as it should..... properly !!!!!!!.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As posted above, a PC III and stock debaffled exhaust. An afternoon on a dyno is the best way to get the best performance but can be pricey. Pick and choose if you have that option of more than one dyno as they can be way off if not calibrated. With experience (different bike) I have found an upto 15%+ which is way high but that dyno was known for being high. Personally I feel the mods are well worth it and I am looking forward to getting a new exhaust system as well as dyno tuned.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is the Arlen Ness Big Sucker hard to install. I can change oil, but that's about it for me. Does it markedly improve performance or more for looks?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hypercharger hype

GT

I went a different way and put the Baron Big Air Kit on my 900C. Cobra 2into1 and NO fuel processor. Good power, great sound, no pops or farts to speak of. There is a bit of bog when the engine is stone cold (I live in northwestern Canada), but as soon as it warms up it is fantastic. :cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I have the 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom SE with stock everything.... I am wanting to find out if anyone has done this yet, and ask of their results...

I want to get a hypercharger for it, as well as debaffle the stock exhaust pipes, and get a power commander.

I would skip the Power Commander until you've added after market exhaust. For now I would remove the PAIR system, or plug it, as some do with a marble or wire nut.

When you do go for the PC, I suggest going with the PCV and the Auto Tune. You will need to have someone weld a 18mm bung onto your exhaust system so an O2 analyzer can be fitted. I have the PCIII on my VTX and no matter what map I downloaded the performance increase was marginal. Only after I had the bike dyno'd did the bike come to life. I've installed the PCV and Auto Tune on my '10 Custom SE and am very pleased with the results. The AFR is constantly being monitored and adjusted, if necessary, as I ride.

·
Registered
186 Posts

I have the SE. and i have installed the LA choppers big air kit(black)black hard chrome strippers and cobra fi 2000. after some help from i believe it was from some the guys on here i found the cobra is very finicky on adjustment,butnow that i have it set i would say perfect. my bike runs very very well, no leg interference with the LA choppers kit.also running the cam2 fuel,its expensive around here but my bike sure runs good with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts