Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I currently own a honda cbr 1000rr but my fiance just got done with cancer treatments for a bone cancer in her pelvis so she is uncomfortable on that bike now. I can get a 09 custom SE for about 6300 on the road. The bike will mostly be used around town but we are also planning on taking some longer trips, probably in the 2-3 hundred mile range, with some freeway cruising thrown in. Would this bike be good for that or should i look for a bigger bike like alot of other people are telling me. I have to make sure the bike will be good for what we are doing since this will be the last bike i can buy for a while so i cant trade it in next year if it doesnt seem sufficient. Thanks for any input i can get.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The wife and I tool around on our 900 custom all the time with no worries. 70-80 mph is our max cruising speed, though, with the average between 55 and 65 mph. We're a tad bit over the reccomended 400lb max limit, but after adjusting the rear shock (lol), there are no other issues. Going 2-up, curves are fine, stopping is fine, acceleration is fine, hills are fine, all is well... except: the seat isn't the most comfortable for a passenger, and my wife, after 1 trip, insists on a backrest soon. Other than that, the 900 sounds like it would fit the needs you described quite well.

If ya like, browse through the 900 specific threads here on this site, they cover just about every topic under the sun. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 09 LT it comes with a backrest. My wife and I have ridden on a few trips over 500 miles. We have to stop about every 50-75 miles to stretch, old age does that. As Sketso indicated the stock seat is not the most comfortable for either driver or rider. as far as the bike itself, we sometimes pull a trailer with about 100lbs additional weight with little or no problems. The biggest problem we have run into, other the the seat, is wind. With a full windshield and the additional weight we get dragged down sometimes. Like when we went to Colorado a strong head wind and hills I had to down shift to 4th to get over some of them. Without the head wind I could go over the mountains with no problems. I would suggest that you get a OEM seat with better padding and a backrest if you don't have one if you plan on doing a lot of riding.

·
Registered
263 Posts
We ride 2 up quit a bit. I have the custom, with added Back Rest and Mustang 2 up seat. When I got mine, I did not like the studs of the LT and fell in love with the front end of the Custom. The bike is light enough, I can put it where ever I want it, and the turns make it fun.

Remember that this bike, the custm, was not designed for long range highway cruizing. A lot of people forget that and point at all of its faults when doing so. This bike is fun around town and on short trips. With a few mods, you can make it very useful for highway work. You will give up a few things on the long trips, but you gain so much more on the day to day rides.

You will ride it much more than you think you will. It begs to be riden.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
You will ride it much more than you think you will. It begs to be ridden.
+1 I've had mine 2 and 1/2 months, and I've already gotten near 3.5k miles on it... and DARN those daily responsibilities, for without those, I'd probably be closer to 6 or 7k miles on it. I'm constantly trying to find a way to slip out and get myself moving on two wheels...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Back in April when I was new bike shopping, I rode several Vulcan models including the 900 custom and 900 LTD... of those two I would suggest the LTD for two up highway riding. I personally did not like the high RPM whining at highways speeds on either 900, and ended up purchasing a 1600 Nomad... to me that was the best move... what you feel comfortable with and are looking for in a bike may be different. Test ride several models before making a choice would be my advise on the matter... happy bike hunting :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
+1 on the test ride. I recommend test riding the bike before you purchase. I also went from a sportbike (that I rode for 6 years) to the Vulcan 900 custom S.E. I test rode it and fell in love. I have no info on the 2-up situation as my wife doesn't really like to ride :) The 900 has enough power for me and handles well enough to hit some twisties and scrap the pegs. :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi everyone. I currently own a honda cbr 1000rr but my fiance just got done with cancer treatments for a bone cancer in her pelvis so she is uncomfortable on that bike now. I can get a 09 custom SE for about 6300 on the road. The bike will mostly be used around town but we are also planning on taking some longer trips, probably in the 2-3 hundred mile range, with some freeway cruising thrown in. Would this bike be good for that or should i look for a bigger bike like alot of other people are telling me. I have to make sure the bike will be good for what we are doing since this will be the last bike i can buy for a while so i cant trade it in next year if it doesnt seem sufficient. Thanks for any input i can get.
I've got a CBR in my garage too, and I don't know if you will be satisfied with the power of a 900 V-twin, but that's a personal decision that you'll have to figure out on your own (Your CBR has about 100 more HP!). I'm fortunate that I can afford more than one bike, but if for some reason 2 of 'em had to go I'd keep the Concours 14 'cause it does anything you can ask of it well and satisifies my "need for speed". You might be better off with a Bandit, FZ-1, or something similar.

·
Administrator
11,997 Posts
My son has an '07 R6 and no time soon is he thinking of parting with it but when he and his girlfriend want to take a longer day trip, he always seems to know where to find me................AND MY NOMAD! :D ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had my 900 Classic for about 11 months. It is very nice handling ride that has been great for commuting to work. It was my first bike and has served its purpose as such. I am really kind of over it now. It is kinda underpowered and buzzy at high speeds. I am looking into trading up for a BMW R 1200 R. If I could afford two bikes I would keep it though:)

·
Registered
657 Posts
I wold have to agree the custom is probably more of an around town ride. For longer trips, a Classic or even an LT would be better, but you you'll need to decide your own priorities. Either way, plan on a new saddle when you get it. I may be ordering an Ultimate Seat this week for my LT as my wife and I like to take longer trips and I ride a fair amount (5000 in 4 months so far). I had another after-market seat. While it was better, it didn't quite make the grade.
I personally would love to have both my LT and a Custom, but hey... I just can't have it all. Whatever you get, the seat will be key if she needs a comfortable ride. There's just no getting around that!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts