Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 900 classic LT and a goldwing for longer trips. I just sat on a new 2018 voyager 1700 and fell in love.

So I am asking anyone who has a late model,say, 2016-2018 , 1700 and give me your opinion on the bike, the up's and down's.

If I buy this new bike the 900 and the goldwing need to go and I would hate to make a bad move and miss them after it's too late.

I do plan to visit the dealership again and ask for a test ride.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I ride a 15 Voyager that I bought new in 16. I have 23K+ miles on it so far. I've only spent about an hour riding a 08 1800 GW but that gave me most of the info I needed.

I loved the power and smoothness of the flat 6 in the GW. Hated the lack of foot room and wasn't thrilled with foot position. The old timer in me loved that it had buttons for everything and most buttons appeared to be single use. Everything else seemed okay, at least with my limited time on the bike.

The only thing I don't like about the Voyager is the motor. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I'm just not a fan of V-twins but the V-twin gives me the foot position/room that I want. Otherwise it's a very competent bike that handles well, has plenty of storage and with a few performance upgrades it will keep most riders happy.

The Voyager is a little more Old School than the GW. For me that's a plus.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
re: vtwins.

I really liked the Yamaha V4 engines that were in the Venture and Tour Deluxe series until 2012 as well as souped up in the Vmax. Very smooth and powerful with a comfortable riding position for me.

Pictures in my garage if you're not familiar with them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks D-Dub,seems we think a lot alike.

If I had the money I'd buy the new yamaha transcontinental package but thats not in my price range,in fact the only thing close in a new bike ( that I like ) is the voyager.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ride 2015 that i got new in 2016.
My story is fairly similar... I was riding 2007 Yamaha Royal Venture, and even though I really liked that bike I wanted something more 21st century without the cassette tape deck :grin2:
I would love the new Yamaha or the new goldwing, but unfortunately those are way too much for my pocket.
After some research and test rides I decided to go with Voyager.
I jumped on this forum to look for any issues with the bike and almost immediately I found lots of info about bike running hot etc.
Long story short, I got the bike, got the ECU flashed by Ivan, and so far I really love the bike, and do not see changing it anytime soon.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sounds like I'm not alone. If Yamaha had just put fuel injection on the Venture I'd own one. I owned a first Gen Venture Royale, 3 Honda Magnas 1st & 2nd Gen and those V4's are awesome. I was waiting for Yamaha to update the Venture but after 4 years waiting I bought the Voyager. When they announced the new Venture with an air-cooled V-twin I was super disappointed.
This is the first time in my life that nobody is selling a bike I want to buy. Weird for sure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How bout the air flow ? On my 900 even with a fairing I get buffeted with wind, but on the goldwing I don't get any wind at all....but whats it like riding the voyager ? Is the windshield tall enough,do you get too much wind or is it fine ?

I am going for a test ride Friday if all goes well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
How bout the air flow ? On my 900 even with a fairing I get buffeted with wind, but on the goldwing I don't get any wind at all....but whats it like riding the voyager ? Is the windshield tall enough,do you get too much wind or is it fine ?

I am going for a test ride Friday if all goes well.
I'm very happy with the wind protection of the Voyager. IIRC the GW I rode gave a little more protection. But opinions on wind protection and buffeting vary wildly.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey,
Yeah I have had a Harley ultra classic, Yamaha V star, Honda Shadow saber. For the money you cannot beat the Voyager. The Honda was just an 1100 cruiser, Harley I Paid $28,00 for new in 2006 rode it 6 years then sold it bought the V Star 1300 Deluxe I liked it with the bat wing fairing and saddle bags but I missed that 6th gear and cruise control so I bought my 2016 Voyager new in 2017 for $12,399 I did invest a little more into it with the Ivan flash, Cobra slipons, Alley cat intake those 3 things made all the difference performance wise. Then added GPS rear speakers upgraded front speakers and clarion amp, Corbin seat, lowered bike an inch (because I'm short & fat) and few more odds and ends all in all I'm back up to the sticker price of around $17,000 and I have an awesome bike I love to ride and still a lot cheaper than the Harley I had.
The only draw backs from new stock is:
1. It is slow to respond not a lot of power ( Ivans flash cures that for $399)
2. It does sit high (I'm 5'9" and would be on my tip toes at a stop until I lowered the bike 1" (Progressive fork spring lowering kit $99 , and I went with a lowering bracket you can get on ebay for $125 that repositions the lower rear shock mount however there is some saddle bag frame modification that has to be done cutting and welding
Progressive makes a shorter rear shock no mod required $499)
3. It does run hot but all big bikes do

Other than those things I which are problems that I solved with the modifications I really like it
It handles and maneuvers well, great power with mods, comfortable behind windshield at high speeds 85+ no buffeting
I am very happy with it after 1 yr and 7500 miles

·
Registered
10 Posts
The ups for me is the ride. It has a fantastic ride and plenty of power. I do not like the power in 6th gear though. It is a "DOG" and I have to always down shift to go up hills or pass anyone on the interstate. I wish it had a bigger fuel capacity, but it is sufficient. I do love the bike though. I have no big grips. I have changed grips, added slip ons, changed out my headlamp to an LED.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The windshield in my opinion is plenty tall. I do not get hardly any buffing in the wind. I like the fixed fairing for that but I wish it was not fixed so I could have more options on the handle bars.

·
Registered
111 Posts
To Glestimator get the bike ivanized and that 6th gear problem will go away. I got my ecu ivanized last week and one of the benefits was being able to ride in 5th and 6th gear on these country roads and because of that my mpg went from 38+ to 43+ and enjoying the bike a lot more now. More torque in the upper gears also so passing is better in 5th and 6th.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The ups for me is the ride. It has a fantastic ride and plenty of power. I do not like the power in 6th gear though. It is a "DOG" and I have to always down shift to go up hills or pass anyone on the interstate.

Are you Ivanized? I felt same about OD...having to downshift etc. until I had Ivan reflash the dumbed down factory ECU. Totally different bike and OD works so much better

·
Registered
256 Posts
Can't comment on Wing vs 1700 but I can on 900 vs 1700.

It's another world. We did a two day 1300km trip and neither I nor my passenger felt beat up. The big twin is very mellow on the highway.

The only bad thing I can say is that thanks to the EPA, factory fuel mapping is a mess, over 100F ambient the bike runs like crap. Too lean.

The fix is sending the ECU to Ivan's Performance Products and paying the $350 US for a flash. After the flash, the bike runs like it should.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, after being on one,I want it. Trying to get the best deal I can we ( dealer and myself ) are going back n fourth a little for now.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well, after being on one,I want it. Trying to get the best deal I can we ( dealer and myself ) are going back n fourth a little for now.
Not sure what year you are looking at but for a bit of comparison here is a new 2017 at the dealer I got my 2016 from Jan. 2017. My dealer also gave me 30% off any Kawasaki accessories I bought at time of purchase. Good luck!

https://www.paulsonsmotorsports.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=3466406&p=1&vc=touring&s=Year&d=D&fr=xNewInventory

1 - 18 of 18 Posts