Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of installing the Aux lights in my Vaq. I don't ride much at night but like the look better than the louvers. Are the lights worth it as far as making the road visibility better?

Second question is what size bulb does it use? If I get them I want to replace the OEM with LED bulbs to match my headlamp at 6000k. It will be easier if I can oder all in one shot.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I have a set that came with the bike,, I like them a lot, they look great too. I have them ON all the time, and I can't say if i turned them off to see the difference.. Maybe I should! I don't know what bulbs are in/ came with it.
Sorry not much help

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve, I spoke to Ray, we are supposed to maybe meet with you half way on Sunday. I hope the weather holds out. Its gonna piss rain here for at least 3 or 4 days straight. :mad:

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Steve, I spoke to Ray, we are supposed to maybe meet with you half way on Sunday. I hope the weather holds out. Its gonna piss rain here for at least 3 or 4 days straight. :mad:
Yes, I hope the weather will be in our favor for Sunday.. looking forward to it

·
Registered
386 Posts
All I can say is the headlamp on the Vaq on its own, is better than the headlamp AND spots on the Road King.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I can say is the headlamp on the Vaq on its own, is better than the headlamp AND spots on the Road King.
I was a twat hair away from buying a 2013 Road King left over, black of course, but they would not work to give me a decent deal. And my credit is excellent. Even told them if they get to a good number I will take it today. Good thing they didn't because I love my Vaquero. Way more in the way of amenities and 3 years warranty. The sales girl kept trying to sell me on the lifestyle. I asked what she could throw in to sweeten the deal on the bike and she tells me T-shirts... Really?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I was a twat hair away from buying a 2013 Road King left over, black of course, but they would not work to give me a decent deal. And my credit is excellent. Even told them if they get to a good number I will take it today. Good thing they didn't because I love my Vaquero. Way more in the way of amenities and 3 years warranty. The sales girl kept trying to sell me on the lifestyle. I asked what she could throw in to sweeten the deal on the bike and she tells me T-shirts... Really?
Well there's pros and cons to both sides;
The Harley has a better dealer back up and WW warranty, the Kawasaki is a more modern ride, and my choice for long distance, and I do mean LONG distance rides. I can happily do 600 mile days on the Vaq. It does lack character though, which is why I'll never sell the RK.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I am thinking of installing the Aux lights in my Vaq. I don't ride much at night but like the look better than the louvers. Are the lights worth it as far as making the road visibility better?
hn,, leave those louvers in place and put some Hi Intensity LED's behind them. when off, they still look like intake ducts. when ON they will provide intense identification that something unusually brite is approaching.. and if you were to add optional alternating flasher mode, it may stop people in their trax.. jus don't use red/blue led's. poncho

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hn,, leave those louvers in place and put some Hi Intensity LED's behind them. when off, they still look like intake ducts. when ON they will provide intense identification that something unusually brite is approaching.. and if you were to add optional alternating flasher mode, it may stop people in their trax.. jus don't use red/blue led's. poncho
I saw on a thread somewhere that a Member put some flushmount LEDs behind the louvers, but zi wonder if they provide illumination of the road. I will probably just leave good enough alone. That LED headlamp bulb I installed is damn bright at 3000 lumens. And its instant on unlike HID.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I saw on a thread somewhere that a Member put some flushmount LEDs behind the louvers, but zi wonder if they provide illumination of the road. I will probably just leave good enough alone. That LED headlamp bulb I installed is damn bright at 3000 lumens. And its instant on unlike HID.
probly nott.. if any road lumin'ation.. its more for being SEEN by others so they don't do stoopid stuff in front of you..
if you want some road illumination, mite try something like this. I put hevy duty offroad 4x4 lamps on my roll bars. they will lite up the road and then some. hafta point them more down for close road work so they don't blind oncoming traffic.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
On the Voyager, they are H8 bulbs, and they dont light up down the road as far as the low beam, but they light up to the sides much better, and the extra lights on the front will make cagers notice you easier, and be less likely to pull out in front of you. I run mine all the time. With the low beams and spots on, it lights about twice as bright until the light fades.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the Voyager, they are H8 bulbs, and they dont light up down the road as far as the low beam, but they light up to the sides much better, and the extra lights on the front will make cagers notice you easier, and be less likely to pull out in front of you. I run mine all the time. With the low beams and spots on, it lights about twice as bright until the light fades.
That is the info I am looking for, so I can order LED replacements at the same time I order the lights. I dont ride much at night but like cagers to see 3 lights coming and not 1. The LED bulbs are damn bright and light up the way. My Bday is in 2 weeks so these lights may be my present to me. Thanks guys. :D

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Be advised also that I have had others turn on their high beams on me because they are that bright to begin. didnt think of that until I read your last post. My bday is the 15th.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I put damn near 50k on my Vaquero before I installed the lights.
Yes, I can tell that they are on or not at night. Not so much range as broader. I also have a headlight modulator (which you can only use on the headlight legally), and I can tell that cagers see me!
Two side benefits that Racn Ray pointed out, but I was skeptical. One was that mileage would improve and two, the bike was more stable at higher speeds. The thought process was that the closed louvers were creating turbulence at the front of the bike. Ray was correct on both counts! Again!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put damn near 50k on my Vaquero before I installed the lights.
Yes, I can tell that they are on or not at night. Not so much range as broader. I also have a headlight modulator (which you can only use on the headlight legally), and I can tell that cagers see me!
Two side benefits that Racn Ray pointed out, but I was skeptical. One was that mileage would improve and two, the bike was more stable at higher speeds. The thought process was that the closed louvers were creating turbulence at the front of the bike. Ray was correct on both counts! Again!!
I agree. I hit 110 mph screwing around with my buddy on a Harley Dyna. Wanted to show him my 835 lb. beast could keep up. I could feel the turbulence hit the front end, it was a little breezy that day. The lights will force the air arou d the curves of the fairing and cut down drag, thus better mpg. Although I would imagine any increase in MPG would be negligible.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I agree. I hit 110 mph screwing around with my buddy on a Harley Dyna. Wanted to show him my 835 lb. beast could keep up. I could feel the turbulence hit the front end, it was a little breezy that day. The lights will force the air arou d the curves of the fairing and cut down drag, thus better mpg. Although I would imagine any increase in MPG would be negligible.
I think my increase was somewhere between one to two more miles per gallon. Not huge, but it allows my 112-mile round-trip commute to just barely drop to less than three gallons. I'll take anything I can get! :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I placed my order today for my Aux driving lights. $218 shipped and a pair of H8 30w LED replacement bulbs at 6000 k tempurature to match my LED headlamp. I am stoked to lose the Louvers. I think the lights give a more finished look to the front of the fairing. And hopefully be more visible to cagers. Almost been hit twice on the Vaquero by dumb asses that dont look. :eek

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Be advised also that I have had others turn on their high beams on me because they are that bright to begin. didnt think of that until I read your last post. My bday is the 15th.
If they flash me at least I know they see me coming. I dont ride much at night anyhow. Most night riding is the occasional Bike Night at Hooters and when we go to Daytona Beach for an event.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts