Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for my 500th post I figured I would pose a question to those of you with a fairing on your 900 Custom.
The story:
As many of you know I converted my 900 Custom to a bagger and I put on a batwing fairing to complete the look. After it was done I took a couple days to ride her only on secondary roads to get a feel for her in her new look, and get acquainted with the new bars and wider stance. About day 4 I took her on the interstate for a quick jaunt between exits to see how she handles on the highway and it was, well, terrifying. At about 70-75 mph she felt ok until a tractor trailer passed by me. The turbulence I experienced after it passed almost put skid marks in my nickers. The front wheel shook so bad I had to back down to 55 mph to allow the truck to get far enough ahead of me that it didn't affect the bike anymore. Behind anything larger than a panel van (like a UPS delivery truck for example) it's downright frightening. I need to add that there was quite a bit of wind that day and I don't know if cross winds played a part in that experience or not. Also need to add that I've ridden behind big trucks before the fairing was installed and the turbulence wasn't that bad considering the weight of the bike.
The question:
Have any of you with a batwing fairing experienced anything like this? Is it more prominent because of the skinnier front tire vs. a classic? If you did experience anything like this, were you able to remedy it and if so, how? I love the looks with the fairing and would rather not have to take it off and put on a windshield if I want to take the highways. Any thoughts and/or advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a Batwing with stereo and 4 speakers install on my LT. I swapped out the tiny windscreen for a KLOCKWERKS 6 1/2" made a huge difference. The way the windscreen is shaped it puts a downward force on the forks stabilizing them.
I also have the OEM lowers that reduce turbulence.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Batwing with stereo and 4 speakers install on my LT. I swapped out the tiny windscreen for a KLOCKWERKS 6 1/2" made a huge difference. The way the windscreen is shaped it puts a downward force on the forks stabilizing them.
I also have the OEM lowers that reduce turbulence.
Do you have pics of the windscreen? I'm thinking the one on mine is at least 6" but it follows the shape of the top of the fairing.

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
Lowers and/or the wings on the fairing may help stabilize things.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Doomcrew
Just sent a pm

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
i run a 5" shield and fairing lowers on my custom, I have had no issues with stability, on my classic I run a 9" shield with lowers .... no issue there either.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like the common denominator is a set of lowers. Will have to look into some in the future...until then it's 65 and under which is still fine by me :)

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
i went for an extensive ride on the week end on my classic covering a fair bit of interstate .... I paid particular attention to the passing of tractor trailers, of which I had no issues ... while there is some buffeting, there was certainly no issues with oscillation in the bars or any shaking of any kind.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, on my 3 state trip I took last weekend I made a discovery. Well, 2 discoveries. The first discovery is I found out why my bike reacted to the turbulence so violently and it comes down to 2 words: Air Pressure. More specifically tire pressure. My pressures were low. VERY low. I checked them before I left as I always do before long trips and they were ok. But a stop for gas netted me the second discovery: My rear tire was nearly flat. It had 4 lbs of air in it. I found that odd, aired it back up and checked the tire (with some help from a few sets of eyes from some Hardley guys that pulled in while I aired it up) and there was nothing in the tire, no scratches, cuts, punctures, anything. Then I found it. The dealer, who replaced my tire last summer, didn't replace the valve stem and it was dry rotted. There was a slow leak that I found using the age old "spit test" to check for air bubbles. Well that slow leak was actually worse than I originally thought. If you touched the valve stem at all, it would leak. I found a shop that was still open outside of Martinsville, VA that was able to replace it with hard mounted stem. When we got the wheel off we took a good look at the stem. It was almost in 2. Only 1/3 of the stem was still intact. From what I could gather the wind back there getting swirled around thanks to the bags and bagger fender would cause the stem to shake and therefore leak.

Long story short and realization:

After the valve stem was replaced and pressures were where they needed to be I went on my way. The wheel shake was nearly eliminated except for a few instances at really high speeds or loads of traffic. Otherwise it was as if the fairing wasn't even on, minus the pounding in the chest from the wind.

I still think a taller shield and some lowers will help, but for now, it's much, much better.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
My 07 had leaky rear stem at about 9000 miles (1 season). Any movement caused it to leak. Installed a hard mount and it's been fine for 7years now.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats what I put on mine..hard mounted one. Figured it would save me a ton of headaches later on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts