Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone still have the decorative end plates that are riveted to the end of the mufflers? The PO of my bike drilled holes in the end plates which basically doesn't do anything except look ugly (Didn't do a very good job of it) I'm figuring I could just drill out the rivets and replace with unmolested plates.

·
Registered
42 Posts
my guess would be no because you have to bend those suckers pretty good when you debaffle to pipes. Why not just take them off and debaffle the pipes?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Are you saying he actually drilled holes in the cover itself, yet left the rivets in place, and didn't drill through to the baffle?

I still have mine, but... I had to drill the rivets to get them off. Is that the condition of end plates you're looking for?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sorry, man. I tossed 'em when I gutted the pipes. The covers are worthless after you cut the mounting bracket off anyway.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you saying he actually drilled holes in the cover itself, yet left the rivets in place, and didn't drill through to the baffle?

I still have mine, but... I had to drill the rivets to get them off. Is that the condition of end plates you're looking for?
You got it. Each plate has 4-1/2" dia holes drilled through it and he left the rivets in place to hold the plates. He did a real crappy job as well. Yes, I believe I can just drill out my rivets and install endplates that have had the rivets drilled out. Did you use a 1/8" drill to drill the cover plate rivets out? I'm not really sure what size rivets they are....probably a metric size. Don't want to gut my exhaust as I like it factory quiet. Am I correct in assuming I could just reinstall with new rivets?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Yeah, just a small bit to drill the rivets... not sure if they'll work for ya or not, but I'll happily send 'em your way soon, if ya like? When I get home tonight, I'll get some close up pics and PM ya to see if you think they're usable. :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
You could try these:

These are on eBay, but I occasionally see them from on-line stores as well. They come in both black and chrome!!! Trying to replace the stock end-caps would be a challenge at the very least!!! They're either bent or drilled off at the rivets. Good luck. :cool:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, just a small bit to drill the rivets... not sure if they'll work for ya or not, but I'll happily send 'em your way soon, if ya like? When I get home tonight, I'll get some close up pics and PM ya to see if you think they're usable. :)
Thanks Sketso........I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Did you ever find the replacement covers? I have the set from mine if you want them. They are in perfect shape and could be riveted back on with no problem.

·
Registered
346 Posts
loud pipes save lives! :D
Actually, they don't. 90 some-odd % of all cycle accidents are due to cages turning left in front of bikes. (According to the MSF) With the noise of loud pipes exiting the rear of they bike, they effectively don't do squat to "save lives".

Loud pipes are cool sounding and I like them, ( I even debaffled mine) but statistically speaking, they really don't save lives. Headlight modulators or auxiliary driving lamps do a much better job at that since they face forward.

·
Registered
346 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, January 2014
275 Posts
Actually, they don't. 90 some-odd % of all cycle accidents are due to cages turning left in front of bikes. (According to the MSF) With the noise of loud pipes exiting the rear of they bike, they effectively don't do squat to "save lives".

Loud pipes are cool sounding and I like them, ( I even debaffled mine) but statistically speaking, they really don't save lives. Headlight modulators or auxiliary driving lamps do a much better job at that since they face forward.
So you've never heard a bike coming up from behind you? That's like saying you won't hear me if I don't talk directly to you. It's a very lousy excuse for the argument against loud pipes. Anything I can do to make more people aware of me on the road is a good thing, no matter the direction I am relative to them.

That being said, we as riders should be the proactive ones in terms of safety and loud pipes are not an end-all-be-all, but they certainly don't hurt the situation. Also, "statistically speaking" you didn't provide any statistics to show that louder pipes don't save lives, you provided an overall statistic of accidents...not loud pipes vs. quiet pipes, etc. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts