Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 08 VN 2000 Classic LT not quite a month ago, and 1100 miles later, I still am trying to get used to the weight/handling of this beast. I have been riding bikes for over 40 years, and this one is without doubt the biggest and heaviest motorcycle I've ever had. My last one (still have it) is a 93 ZR-1100, which is a regular street bike, and I am quite comfortable riding it. We wanted something better suited to riding 2 up and the Vulcan truly excels at that. But I have not quite gotten accustomed to how the Vulcan handles, and there are times I really struggle with the low speed/city driving aspect of things. It seems to take a lot of muscle to turn, and it swings wider doing a low speed turn than what I am used to. I guess my question for those of you that have ridden these for a while, is do you eventually get accustomed to it and feel at home? I hope more time with it will cure this; thankfully I live in a small town and can drive it around without dealing with heavy traffic. Nothing worse than a car right on your tail when trying to navigate turns with an unfamilar bike. Any and all comments or thoughts on this will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I think sometimes I go too slow for low speed maneuvering and that makes it really feel like a lumbering beast in that situation.

IMHO, try speeding up just a tiny bit, doesn't seem to take much, and roll into that throttle just a tiny bit more as you start through the turn and you can move those bars easier and further than you'd think possible.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Wow i agree with your take on turning the beast, i just bought an 09 Voyager its like riding a 250 compared to the V2K . Before i had the V2K i had a Big Dog K9 and thought it was tricky to ride but getting around in parking lots and tight places requires way more concentration and focus on the V2K .. Then one of my buddies rode my 2k the other day it was his first time on one ( he has a Harley and got tired of me braggin ) crap he buzzed around on it like it was a mini bike so maybe there is hope for me yet... PS. he is tryin to trade for a real motorcycle asap.....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Get used to draggin boards... Ive gotten used to where the board wil start to contactc the street and go right up to that point. I've gotten to the point i can flick this thing around like its a dirt bike these days. Well a VERY LARGE dirt bike maybe....

Be cautious, not timid.

You'll get used to it, i promise.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Definitely takes some getting used to.
This is my 2nd season on it and I can tell you I turn it way better than last season. Almost 10K on it now.

My problem was I was thinking about it too much.
I started just looking where I wanted to go and quit worrying about whether it could and it made it a bunch easier.

It's still a beast though...

But I love it!

:D

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I started just looking where I wanted to go ...
:D
This is a KEY point for all aspects of motorcycle driving. Look where you want to go, that aspect cannot be stressed enough.

Here are a couple of things I always ride with in my head...one is already mentioned, but I'll say it again...

1. Look where you want to go, not where you are.
2. Blinking turn signals on cars, trucks, etc. mean only that the bulb works; assume nothing more than that.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The only thing I might add is make sure your tire air pressure is where it belongs. I suffered that problem the first week I had mine and when it dawned on my to check them, I couldn't believe the dealer let it go to the customer that way. 17 in the front and 20 in the back. I put them right and it was all the difference in the world. Other than that, it's just a matter of getting used to it. You might try watching Joe "MOTORMAN" Paladino's video. It helped me grasp some of the finer points of riding a elephant bike.

Hey Pancho......you're being awfully quiet on this one??:eek:

·
Registered
987 Posts
V2K handling

The weight got me when I first started riding as well, scared the crap out of myself a couple of times when cagers cut me off in a corner....But you do get used to it. I think it is because the center of gravity is much higher than on other cruisers, but you do get used to it. The Wing and most Harleys carry their weight real low so they are easier to manage. I recently bought a 900C as a project bike and I REALLY notice the differences between the two. The big V2K is at home on the road, so take it there!:cool:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
You might try watching Joe "MOTORMAN" Paladino's video. It helped me grasp some of the finer points of riding a elephant bike.
obg, wat? like yor missing me or something? you guys got this handled pretty good. sometimes its more fun to watch than participate. like girls at the beach... no I take that back. I'd rather be mixin it up.:) out, pan'cho

·
Registered
5 Posts
riding the beast

I bought a 08 VN 2000 Classic LT not quite a month ago, and 1100 miles later, I still am trying to get used to the weight/handling of this beast. I have been riding bikes for over 40 years, and this one is without doubt the biggest and heaviest motorcycle I've ever had. My last one (still have it) is a 93 ZR-1100, which is a regular street bike, and I am quite comfortable riding it. We wanted something better suited to riding 2 up and the Vulcan truly excels at that. But I have not quite gotten accustomed to how the Vulcan handles, and there are times I really struggle with the low speed/city driving aspect of things. It seems to take a lot of muscle to turn, and it swings wider doing a low speed turn than what I am used to. I guess my question for those of you that have ridden these for a while, is do you eventually get accustomed to it and feel at home? I hope more time with it will cure this; thankfully I live in a small town and can drive it around without dealing with heavy traffic. Nothing worse than a car right on your tail when trying to navigate turns with an unfamilar bike. Any and all comments or thoughts on this will be appreciated.
I initially also found the handling a problem. However, it improves dramatically when you have the proper tire pressure. (mine were under inflated) Secondly, when I changed the rear tire to a car tire (205-60-16) my contact patch improved/handling at low speeds and turns. The bike almost automatically straightens and leaning has become easier.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I didn't think I would ever get used to it. The "ROGUE" aka V2K and I came to an understanding, and we fell in LOVE. I was thinking I had a bike I couldn't control, and thought I wanted something else. Now I wouldn't ride anything else (my wife owns an HD Road Glide, the HD I like the very best). Give it some time!!!! You will ride other bikes and not like them!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
The only thing I might add is make sure your tire air pressure is where it belongs. I suffered that problem the first week I had mine and when it dawned on my to check them, I couldn't believe the dealer let it go to the customer that way. 17 in the front and 20 in the back. I put them right and it was all the difference in the world. Other than that, it's just a matter of getting used to it. You might try watching Joe "MOTORMAN" Paladino's video. It helped me grasp some of the finer points of riding a elephant bike.

--
Same experience, same pressure, different dealer. Asked the dealership owner if he was trying to kill me. He didn't really acknowledge my question. Now last on my list for any service. Agreed, like a different bike with some air in the tires.

Woody

·
Registered
101 Posts
i've had my 06 v2k since march - when i first got her i just couldn't get over how big she was! but now that i've put in some saddle time and bout 2000 miles i think we have come to an understanding with each other-best thing i did was spend about 3 hours in a vacant parking lot one sun morn getting used to leaning /turning the beast -been riding for years and really felt like a rookie out there for a while before i did that--now she dont seem so big after all --dont worry the more you ride the easier she handles :)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Big Bikes are like Bad Drugs

once you get used to a big beasty bike... everything else just seems so... wimpy!
04 I bought a 1700 RoadStar and thought it was an elephant. Tooks me months to get used to it. Then my hd superglide felt like a toy. Then I bought a real elephant, er electraglide and the roadstar just wouldn't cut it anymore. it was like riding a mini bike. Then I bought the "redbear'n" and now my elephant has shrunk... I am not sure where this is going?... I am not looking forward to a "bosshog":eek:. maybe I can skip it and get that chrysler v10 bike that only goes straight? out, poncherino

·
Registered
18 Posts
--
Same experience, same pressure, different dealer. Asked the dealership owner if he was trying to kill me. He didn't really acknowledge my question. Now last on my list for any service. Agreed, like a different bike with some air in the tires.

Woody
NEVER trust the dealer!!! Don't mean to offend BUT I have taken my bikes in for FULL services. They claim everything is checked...(i once left two screws loose, they were the same when i picked it up "they claim every bolt and nut is checked forthe 5000mile service" Some might,(I think) most don't. Check your tires and fluids often for your safety and fun.( Flat tires SUCK) Its:eek: Just me, I don't trust ANYONE.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would have to add when manuvering at low speed and doing u-turns and stuff like that, know where your friction zone is with the clutch and throttle and brake. When you use your rear brake with just the right amount of throttle and clutch it makes it real easy to turn and manuver at low speed. I think this bike is very well balanced. The center of gravity is actually lower than a harley, not higher.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi OP. Im a new v2k owner myself, and I had similar concerns with the bike. As others have stated, tire pressure is likely the cause. I was 32 front & back when I first checked the pressure, and put both tires to 42 psi (max recommended psi). It made a world of difference. It really lightened up the steering. My last bike was a vulcan 1600 which took me a season to learn to flick around in the corners. Ive had the v2k for 3 weeks and this is a superior handling machine. Much more tight and stable in the corners.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
***Update 6/11/10***
I want to thank all of you that took time to respond. I appreciate all of the comments made. And now, an update: My tires were under inflated when I rode the bike home the first time. I mistakenly assumed it was ready to ride when I picked it up. (Same story, yet another dealer...) When I took it in for 600 mile service, I was told about it..front @ 20 lbs, rear @ 24lbs. Now, I check it before any riding, and the pressures have been right on target, so I have to assume it was never checked before I rode it home from the dealership. Object lesson learned...obviously that was a huge part of the handling/turning issue. Secondly, while riding in town with underinflated tires, I hit a small patch of gravel turning a corner and the bike jerked about an inch, just enough to scare the crap out of me. I remember thinking at the time that I had bought a bike I wasn't going to be able to control. But things are much better now...with proper inflation it is a totally different ride, and turns and leans quite nicely. Look where you want to go and it goes there. And Ponch, you are dead right about other machines feeling wimpy after this big beasty bike...got the ZR1100 out yesterday and rode it around town a little, and it seemed so...wimpy! Felt like I was riding a tiny little motor scooter, and sitting way up in the air compared to the Vulcan. I've never had a V-Twin bike before and it is getting quite addictive hearing that deep rumble underneath you. I'm sure most of you already know this, but at this point I don't think I'd ever be happy with anything else other than another VN2000. Now I'm hooked...and thanks again to all of you for the responses.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
BBD's... own it, you'r now an addict.

I've never had a V-Twin bike before and it is getting quite addictive hearing that deep rumble underneath you. I'm sure most of you already know this, but at this point I don't think I'd ever be happy with anything else other than another VN2000. Now I'm hooked...and thanks again to all of you for the responses.
yup, bad drugs is what this is. big bad drugs. you won't sleep w/o feeling that big motor under you thumping out a back beat to the melody of the road in harmony with your spirit as you fly thru the backroads in your dreams.

currently am reading "Big Sids Vincati" project by matthew biberman. You are as he was forever changed by the heart beat of a BIG Vtwin motor.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts