Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my 2nd time filling up, so I've been trying to figure out if I should put it on the side stand to fill or hold it level and bring the gas up to that plate at the bottom of the fill neck. Seems like I could get a little more in by putting it on the side stand. By sitting level I'm only showing 3/4 on the gauge (I know they're off)
Tried looking at the on-line manual but couldn't find an answer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is my 2nd time filling up, so I've been trying to figure out if I should put it on the side stand to fill or hold it level and bring the gas up to that plate at the bottom of the fill neck. Seems like I could get a little more in by putting it on the side stand. By sitting level I'm only showing 3/4 on the gauge (I know they're off)
Tried looking at the on-line manual but couldn't find an answer.
If you put it on the side stand and fill it to the brim your gauge should register as full - I always filled mine up while sitting on it and when I tried it on the side stand my needle started registering full. Also be careful not splashing fuel on the tank. I fail at this every time :(...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I fill it while parked on kickstand. I fill to the metal orifice.

Filling while sitting on sounds kinda sketchy to me?

Too many things that could go wrong.

·
Registered
563 Posts
If I am riding right away for some distance I will fill mine as full as I can make it. If it is going to be parked, especially in the sun I will not go quite as full, with expansion the gas will,just get pushed out the overflow tube.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
When you're inches away from being a human fireball, I opt for filling with the bike on the kickstand. Of course it's different in the States. Here we don't fill our own tank. If you're a cager they even wash your windows.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have always filled my previous bikes while sitting on them, never though about it other than how convenient it was..then I read on a forum someone griping about how the Shell attendant told him he had to get off his bikes for safety reasons, and I watched an episode of 1000 ways to die where a guy filling a plastic gas can that was sitting on his pickup truck lit up because of a static charge, and the fact that this is my first bike where the gas cap is on the side of the tank instead of the center...now I know better!

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I fill it on the side stand. Then fill it to just past the bottom of the neck. Seems to get as much fuel as possible.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I get the question as filling with the kickstand down tilts the bike so you are wondering if you are actually filling it up completely. I tried both ways and fill with the kickstand but fill to just above the orifice to make sure i fill it completely. Unofficially i noticed that filling up while sitting on the bike didn't register as full as I thought it would on the gas needle. But that was just a one time observation

·
Registered
70 Posts
I fill up on side stand as close to the top as I can but careful not to spill fuel on to tank - denim finish does not clean too well!. Only filled twice so far and both times with the pump on the left. On the right the nozzle would be nearer to the pump but at the wrong angle :confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Side stand, pump on either side, but with me always standing on the opposite side of the tank cap so that I can actually see what I'm doing. I must be getting old- bending over the bike to look down into the tank is beginning to hurt my back :p

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
+1 on what Hockeyref said. I am almost always several miles from my destination when I fill up so, side stand as full as I can get it without the cap pushing it out.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Someone once told me they never fill their bike up while sitting on it because if there's a fire (and fires at the pump are more common than you think) you can't get away quickly. That's not why I fill it on the side stand, but, it's something to think about; they've got a point!

I fill it on the sidestand, fill it up to the filler neck. If you're having issue with fuel driblling on the tank, there's a couple steps to avoid that. First, do NOT let the nozzle dip BELOW the fuel level. Make sure it doesn't get submerged. Second, hold the nozzle up in the filler for a second or two after you finish filling, tap it gently on the filler neck, then put it away. That's what I always do. Although in the end, a little gas won't hurt anything. The clearcoat on the paint is resistant to fuel (assuming a factory paint job, you'll have to check with who painted it if it's custom!)

If you do get more fuel sitting on the bike how much more is it? Seems like some people overthink this. You get what, an extra 1/8th of a gallon? An extra 5 miles? If that even? Seems easier just to hop off and fill it. I usually like to take that time to stand up anyway. I have long legs so I like to stand and stretch 'em!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Always on the side stand. I'll have to try it from the left. I always fill from the right and have to be careful of the hot pipes. If you fill past the bottom of the neck insert, the cold gas will expand in the heat and dribble out the over flow tube. That mostly happens in hot weather but I've seen in caused by engine heat too. I never sit on my bike when fuelling, I want be able to move fast if something lights up.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Fuel tank filling

That brings back memories of by-gone days. We pay a person $8.00 and hour to watch a guy making $100.00 and hour fill his own tank here. I remember those days when you pulled up, sat in the car until someone came out and pumped your gas, now they don't care if you buy from them or not....buy gas, check the oil, wash the windshield, look up your wifes skirt while cleaning the windshield, what a life style now gone..

·
Registered
35 Posts
fillg tank

I got the needle to peg full with the bike on the stand. If you think about it, you might be able to get a tad more fuel in if standing upright, BUT, I think if you were to then place the bike on the stand, the fuel would pool up to the left side and most likely be considered over filled according to Kawasaki's manual. As others have stated, its too easy to have a mishap, I think, if filling up whilst on the bike. Sounds like a perfect opportunity for "Murphys Law" to come into play; "what can go wrong will go wrong".

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Fuel while it's on the side stand.

I can get a meaningful amount more fuel in the tank if I add above the bottom of the filler neck, but as someone previously mentioned the risk of expansion sending some out the overflow/vent tubes increases the higher you go.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sitting on the bike, legs spread, and an accidental overflow runs down the tank to the front of the seat. That will burn like hell!!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You find what works for you and go with it. There is no sacred ritual that must be performed before the petroleum gods will allow you to anoint your motorcycle with their nectar. On the bike, off the bike, left side, right side, straddling the front wheel...all of them work and they each have their advantages and disadvantages.

A few drops of gas on your hot engine or exhaust isn't going to send the whole block up in a fireball or I wouldn't be typing this.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts