Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was doing huge research on the Vulcan S,
And after all the research I really have felt like the guy who created the Vulcan s created it for me,
I don't know why but everything feels like it fits me and I have sat on it, and I really wanna buy one for a lifetime,
Buy one till it dies on me, The problem is, Some of my friends really try to take me out of the idea to buy one, they say the engine is bad,
the motorcycle is made in china, and stuff like that, I really would like to hear your opinion about this guys.

p.s.
Oh and after how many miles/Km the Motorcycle could die, like whats its life span? + -

Thanks ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought my Vulcan S at a dealership in Colorado, USA. It was made in Thailand. I believe most if not all Vulcan S motorcycles are made in Thailand. The engine is quite powerful for its size, and is a detuned/retuned version of the previous generation Ninja 650. By all accounts, the engine is very reliable and durable. Neither the Vulcan S motorcycle, nor its engine, are made in China. I wonder where your friends got their wrong information?
PS: others will have to give you figures for the longevity of the Vulcan S. Mine is still too new for me to comment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought my Vulcan S at a dealership in Colorado, USA. It was made in Thailand. I believe most if not all Vulcan S motorcycles are made in Thailand. The engine is quite powerful for its size, and is a detuned/retuned version of the previous generation Ninja 650. By all accounts, the engine is very reliable and durable. Neither the Vulcan S motorcycle, nor its engine, are made in China. I wonder where your friends got their wrong information?
PS: others will have to give you figures for the longevity of the Vulcan S. Mine is still too new for me to comment.
Thanks for the comment, Well you know they probably heard from ear to mouth kind of thing...

·
Registered
55 Posts
And after all the research I really have felt like the guy who created the Vulcan s created it for me,
I don't know why but everything feels like it fits me and I have sat on it, and I really wanna buy one for a lifetime,
Buy one till it dies on me, The problem is, Some of my friends really try to take me out of the idea to buy one, they say the engine is bad,
the motorcycle is made in china, and stuff like that, I really would like to hear your opinion about this guys.

p.s.
Oh and after how many miles/Km the Motorcycle could die, like whats its life span? + -

Thanks ?
I haven't had my Vulcan S a year yet but I love it, it gets better the more I ride it. As far as I know they are very good engines, the engines have been around for a while in the Ninja 650. So it is not like the engine just fell out of the sky, there are some good videos on Youtube from people who have owned their Vulcan S for a while. I have not heard anybody say anything bad about the engine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
New rider here and my only regret is having to wait till March / April for riding weather. It was my first bike and also my learner. I'm wondering what bike your friends want you to get...?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Once you get your Vulcan S you can find yourself a new set of friends because you certainly need some. I only had my S for about 10 months and it was a fantastic bike. A true combination of cruiser and sport bike. It's fast, nimble, stylish, fun, inexpensive to run and a great value. I only traded mine because I wanted more of a true cruiser style.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
At just shy of 30,000 miles over the course of 4 years I've personally had no complaints about the Vulcan S, engine or otherwise. I can echo what everyone else has said about the engine being a previous Ninja 650 engine, just slightly de-tuned and modified (ex. larger flywheel, makes it harder to stall). It still has plenty of power to surprise me when I really get after it.

It's not going to please everyone, particularly the hardcore cruiser crowd, they'll still think it's a "crotch rocket" but I didn't buy the bike for them, I bought it for me.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I should add that I plan to never sell the bike. It was my first, others have come and gone, and I've yet to ride something that makes me consider getting rid of it. I expect it to see 100,000 miles w/o too much work, basic maintenance stuff, maybe a valve change at worst.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi OP, I've found nothing but praise for the Ninja-derived engine being a major plus on this bike, from countless reviews and owners' comments. Sounds like your mates have skimped on the facts ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't had my Vulcan S a year yet but I love it, it gets better the more I ride it. As far as I know they are very good engines, the engines have been around for a while in the Ninja 650. So it is not like the engine just fell out of the sky, there are some good videos on Youtube from people who have owned their Vulcan S for a while. I have not heard anybody say anything bad about the engine.
That's so awesome thanks :)
Once you get your Vulcan S you can find yourself a new set of friends because you certainly need some. I only had my S for about 10 months and it was a fantastic bike. A true combination of cruiser and sport bike. It's fast, nimble, stylish, fun, inexpensive to run and a great value. I only traded mine because I wanted more of a true cruiser style.
"set of friends because you certainly need some" haha, Thanks for the comment :)
At just shy of 30,000 miles over the course of 4 years I've personally had no complaints about the Vulcan S, engine or otherwise. I can echo what everyone else has said about the engine being a previous Ninja 650 engine, just slightly de-tuned and modified (ex. larger flywheel, makes it harder to stall). It still has plenty of power to surprise me when I really get after it.

It's not going to please everyone, particularly the hardcore cruiser crowd, they'll still think it's a "crotch rocket" but I didn't buy the bike for them, I bought it for me.
I should add that I plan to never sell the bike. It was my first, others have come and gone, and I've yet to ride something that makes me consider getting rid of it. I expect it to see 100,000 miles w/o too much work, basic maintenance stuff, maybe a valve change at worst.
That's insane Thanks for the info man!

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
The Vulcan S 650 is one of a number of bikes that I own. Overall it's definitely the most fun. It's quick light handles nicely. Like all motorcycles it has shortcomings that have more to do with the price point than the design or manufacture. Really the seat sucks. Suspension is a bit harsh. No stock storage. But get into the twisties and you forget all that. I bought the bike because it fit me so well ( I am 5"2") and I wanted a lightweight ( I have a Nomad 1500) motorcycle for around town and to chase Ducati's and KTM's through the Blue Ridge with. I have been quite pleased with the KVS. I fully intend to keep this one until I pass on to that Great Trackday in the Sky :cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have only had mine for a few months and have a little over 4,000 miles (~6,500 KM) but I haven't found it lacking in the power department. I'm not racing it, but even on Texas highways she runs at 6,000 RPM's at 80mph (~130kph) with plenty more to give if need be. I'm not a small rider either, 6'1" 200 lbs (1.85M & ~90KG).

Like others have said, I think they are made in Thailand not China. But I never researched it, I could not care less where things I buy are made. All I care about are the products are the right mix of performance, quality, and price. I say if it fits the mix for you, go for it!

I don't plan on getting rid of her, I might buy her some siblings though ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Buy the motorcycle that puts a smile on your face, on and off the bike... hehehehe

I have a variety of friends that ride a Harley, Ducati, BMW, KTM, Triumph, Yamaha... I even ride with friends who ride scooters and underbone. And, we are all smiling while riding, and, after a ride... we get our cups of coffee, and just admire our own bikes...hehehe

Bottomline - if the KVS puts a smile on your face, get it! Keep it for as long as it does!

·
Registered
62 Posts

p.s.

Thanks ?
I’ll add my two cents... the VS is my second bike. I’ve had it a bit over a year and just turned 10,000 miles. I ride in South Florida where we see our share of heavy traffic as well as highway cruising at 80 mph just to not get run over. Mechanically, I have absolutely no complaints with the bike. The engine is new in this format, but it’s not a new engine design by any means. I’ll also think that having come from a sport bike, this engine can likely take a lot more abuse than most cruiser riders are gonna give it. In your research, I’m sure you’ve come to realize that the stock seat is... rough... I switched to the extended reach for the gel insert. Im sure it’s not as good as a Corbin, but it’s much better than the standard seat. The styling is a bit oddball, but that’s all a matter of personal taste. If you like it, who cares what anyone else thinks. It’s light, has great handling characteristics, it’s quick, affordable, and good on gas. Your friend is giving you opinions on things he doesn’t know anything about. Good luck and ride safe!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts