Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT.

I'm planning to go on a trip and my planned weight is about 500 lbs all together. (103 lbs over what it said in the manual). Could I still use this weight on the trip if changing tire pressure?
The manual said the total weight for driver, passenger and baggage is 397 lbs. and for this weight, the tire pressure is 28 psi (front) and 32 psi (rear)

What pressure do you guys recommend with this weight? Can I do it? Or can I not?

*My tire size:
Front - 130/90-16 with tubes
Rear - 180/70-15 with tubes

Jaroslaw :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm 300+ and have no problems. I don't know about the tires, but you should also be concerned about the clutch, and suspension. Your tires should have load capacities, refer to them. The weight restriction in the manual is for the over all bikes design. If you are close to the wight of the max watch other things beside your tires.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Such a dangerous question to ask on a forum.

The manufacturer has weight limits in the manual for a reason. The bike was not designed to carry 500 pounds. You are way over the maximum - and this can cause problems with braking, suspension, handling, tires, you name it.

If you were 5 pounds over the MAXIMUM, some might turn a blind eye - but 25% over the maximum recommended weight - yikes!

Even if there is a dude out there in web-land and he/she said, "yeah man, I have carried 1,200 pounds on the bike with no problems!" - Would you really do it?

Perhaps consider packing a little lighter, get a second bike for your passenger, or shed weight by leaving some stuff at home - or perhaps get a trailer...or a motor home.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm with Shadow1 on asking if OK on the forums.
Hate to say it most bikes max weight for pass. & gear is around 400 lbs.
As far as tire pressure goes "I" prefer to run closer to max on the sidewall of tire.

When the Wife and I do go 2up we are near the limit, so no extras.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts