Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic bought new about 3 months ago. 1300 miles on bike now. After the bike has set for 24 to 48 hours a few drops of oil will drip from the open ended rubber hose that's routed down by the rear shock. It was worse when the bike was new but not quite as bad now. I ask the dealer service dept. about it and they don't seem to be concerned. However, they couldn't tell me why the leak was there. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may be a gas overflow tube but the oil is coming from the tube. When the bike was new I laid on the ground and watched the oil dripping from it. I don't believe it's a serious problem but maybe I should contact Kawasaki Co. directly and get their opinion. The Kawasaki dealer's mechanics seemed to be as baffled as I am.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'd lay down again and try to determine whether or not the oil is dripping from the inside of the tube, or running down the outside of the tube and dripping off the end.
You're obviously not loosing enough oil for it to be a "serious" problem, but I'm not sure how oil could find its way into the fuel tank overflow tube (if that's the one we're talking about.) That would have me baffled too...:confused:

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's a check valve and it is gas not oil. Mine has been replaced once and still leaks. The bike is going back for a fuel tank replacement and they are going to look into the check valve thing again.

Kawi knows about the problem, but won't do a recall as of yet. The valve has been redesigned, but is still not working correctly on some bikes, mine being one of them.

Check with your dealer, you are covered under warranty. Post if you get any news.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's thick like oil, it smells like oil and feels like oil. So, I don't know for sure.
What is happening is the rubber hose the gas is coming through is decomposing. The hose is probably deformed at the end like mine is from the gas going through it. The rubber is mixing with the gas so what you see under the bike almost has an oil like look and feel.

Kawi did not make this breather tube a fuel line hose because gas is not supposed to be coming through it.

If enough people with this problem start complaining, Kawi will make it an official recall. Not all 900's have this problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts