Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 voyager only has 7500 miles on it. I bought it a month ago with just 3600 miles. Recently when riding I have noticed something and wonder if I should be concerned. When on the highway or freeway a couple of times when shifting I thought it showed that when going from 4th to 5th that I thought I missed counting cause it said overdrive/6th on the dash. well this morning coming to work on the freeway:surprise: I was shifting, 4th, 5th....suddenly no more shifting. It wouldn't go into 6th. I tried a few times. then after a minute or two it registered that it was in 6th. Does this mean that something is going wrong? Should I be concerned???? I pulled over on the last stretch and stopped, started again, and watch and counted my shifts. It seemed to go through all 6 gears. So anyone know why sometimes it acts like it skips 5 and the now today it seemed like there was not 6 or else I miss counted and the display is acting up. Has anyone else seen this or had this happen????

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
Is it a real shifting issue or just one with the gear position indicator? If it's just the GPI you can dig to fix it or just tolerate it. My GPI is getting worse with age.

-Cheech

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Its probably just the indicator. Some have had them fixed under warranty only to have the same thing happen again shortly after. Has no effect on reliability but is more of a pain than anything. Mine has done it almost from day one on our 12 Voyager.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Apply a little pressure to the shift lever and see it the indicator moves to the proper gear.

How did we ever survive all those years not knowing what gear we were in? Because it doesn't matter. Just watch the tachometer. When the revs get too high, up shift. When the revs get too low, downshift. When you can't downshift anymore, you are in first. Can't up shift anymore, sixth.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Rick has it right. MANY of us have that same problem. I had mine fixed under warranty years ago and in days it came right back. It's for sure that's your problem. I hardly look at it any more and recommend you not rely on it either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts