Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been looking at helmets that support Bluetooth and came across the Sena Calvary. It's a nice looking helmet I am just not 100% sure about rocking the half helmet and it seems my other options are a full face which again, not a fan of. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good 3/4 helmet that has integrated Bluetooth?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Have you considered getting a modular helmet? They look like full face helmets, but the whole front lifts up. This makes it easier to put on and take off the helmet.

The 3/4 helmets are the in between. They cover 3/4 of your head, leaving the front exposed. I used to wear one until I got the modular helmet. It was alright. They won't cut down air noise like FF helmets, though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You can also get whatever helmet you like best and then add a Sena system after the fact. Most new helmets these days seem to have the holes already to fit the little speakers into the helmet with.

And like crazyriderguy, I have also gone with a modular. Love the quiet ride and sense of safety it gives when riding.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
Many helmet makers advertise 'Bluetooth ready' helmets. Meaning of course they don't have any devices installed in them, but are built/designed ready to install. There aren't many that already have devices installed. My point is that you'll have a better chance installing your own device.

The biggest part of a helmet device is to provide intercom, navigation, phone and music. The intercom and phone require a microphone. This presents a problem when using them with a helmet that has a open face.

I use the Sena on a modular helmet. It has changed my ride forever. I enjoy intercom, nav, phone, voice texting, internet and music while riding. There was a reviewer that installed the Sena on a 3/4 helmet and posted some comms while riding. It was quite impressive.

Good luck in your search. Getting a good Bluetooth device will change your ride.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good luck in your search. Getting a good Bluetooth device will change your ride.

I'll second that! My son, son-in-law and I picked up a set off Amazon. They're not the best, but the ability to have music and communicate with your other riders is great.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Never leave my home without them. 1 on the helmet & 1 always charging in the left fairing pocket of the bike..

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
My girlfriend and I have the Sena 20S - it is great to say the least. I could never imagine how much safer it actually makes the trips when we can communicate while riding separately. I now cannot imagine riding without one

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Another +1 for buying a separate bluetooth unit and installing it in the helmet of your choice.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Cyclegear has some of their bluetooth helmets on sale -- the whole helmet and the Sena Bluetooth already installed for a lot less than the standalone Sena. Size/Color selection is limited, though. I picked up a modular, size XL, which fits just a tad snugly on me -- since you're right up the road, you're welcome to give it a listen if it'll go on your head. 64th St. WalMart parking lot or whatever. The sound quality is quite good. I could probably be convinced to part with it, though I like it for around town, just not long rides. (I keep hoping it's going to somehow magically "break in" and be fine ....could happen.....)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If you decide to go with a separate Bluetooth headset, the Cardo Q1 and Q3 are on closeout. Revzilla has the multiset for around $235 for either model. With the Revzilla reward program I got a Q3 multiset earlier this month for $208 (normally $390) to replace my Q2s, which were almost five years old.

·
Registered
360 Posts
You wouldn't buy a car based on the installed stereo. You shouldn't buy a helmet based on Bluetooth. Safety rating first, head fit second, comfort third, everything else after. That Bluetooth isn't going to save your head in a crash. And not all helmets are made the same. You're better off getting a good helmet and adding Bluetooth later.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
My girlfriend and I have the Sena 20S - it is great to say the least. I could never imagine how much safer it actually makes the trips when we can communicate while riding separately. I now cannot imagine riding without one
Yeah, the 20S is pretty awesome! My favorite is making or receiving phone calls and informing them I am riding. I always get shocked disbelief.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Check out Nolan. They have some good helmet options with communications. I think you'd be better off with one of the modular helmets that Crazyriderguy mentioned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts