Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys! I'm new to these forums and looking for sage advice to settle some disputes...

I've been reading through these forums to help out my father who just purchase a 2018 900 and has an old car owners mindset. He swears that "Regular Conventional 10w40 is fine for a motorcycle". While that would indeed be nice for the pocket book I do know that is not the case for motorcycles. I've always used Full Syn for my Honda, Triumph & Indian.

What are some of technical reasons behind why not to use Conventional vs Syn / Syn Blend ?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Jim, that might work too. My only objection would be the JASO MA spec. I once ran oil with this spec in my Vulcan 900. The clutch seemed to work well, and it was quite smooth, with a very noticable friction zone. I find however that the JASO MA2 oil I now use, causes the clutch to bite a bit harder, and it has a narrower friction zone. I now prefer this over the JASO MA performance. API SL would be better for cam lube but API SM is still acceptable according to the owner's manua (at least for a 2013 model like mine, I know yours is 2009). The 10W viscosity at start up would be better for cold weather starts. Either oil would work and are within spec AFAIK. What I'm not sure about is the API specs for your 2009, so the oil your ordered might be best for your bike,

·
Registered
487 Posts
Johnny_D, here are the aurguments I can think of. One, auto oil will simply not function with the wet clutch of a Japanese motorycle. The special friction modifiers in modern auto oil will simple not allow it to function. Two, most modern auto oil are API SN, so not enough zinc phosphate to properly lub the solid lifter cams in the 900. It has to be SM or lower. Three, the motorcycle oil has to lube the transmission, and has specail additves for this. If he puts auto oil in his 900, he will ruin the bike, simple as that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Jim, that might work too. My only objection would be the JASO MA spec. I once ran oil with this spec in my Vulcan 900. The clutch seemed to work well, and it was quite smooth, with a very noticable friction zone. I find however that the JASO MA2 oil I now use, causes the clutch to bite a bit harder, and it has a narrower friction zone. I now prefer this over the JASO MA performance. API SL would be better for cam lube but API SM is still acceptable according to the owner's manua (at least for a 2013 model like mine, I know yours is 2009). The 10W viscosity at start up would be better for cold weather starts. Either oil would work and are within spec AFAIK. What I'm not sure about is the API specs for your 2009, so the oil your ordered might be best for your bike,
This are the specs from the manual of 2009.
Oil specs.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been using the Kawasaki 10w-40 non-synthetic it hasn't gave me any problems I change at 3k mile intervals. I have a 2010 custom vulcan 900.
Kawasaki Performance 4-Stroke Engine Oil Gallon 10W-40 K61021-302

21 - 30 of 30 Posts