Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has got to be the shortest duration i have owned a bike, but i think i am not quite ready for a cruiser, so posted my bike for sale on the classified section:

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32859

I know it is a little high, but i might have some wiggle room on that. If anyone on here are interested, get in touch with me and we can work something up. If it doesnt sell in the next few months, i might have to just trade her in. the bike is really great, no complaints what soever, just want to get me a sport touring bike instead..

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
No need for explanations... if the bike doesn't do it for you... move on. Life's too short. :)

That said, if you're going to trade it in, you've likely got a lot of wiggle room in your asking price. I'd get an offer from your dealer in writing and then add $500 to it and place the bike on Craigslist in the Spring (depending on your location) for that price.

You won't make a killing on it, but it will likely get sold quickly.

Good luck... and happy shopping!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the bike is great! Dont get me wrong, i love everything about the bike, the styling and riding comfort etc.. but i still like leaning my bike as i go around corners and thats what i look forward to most when i go up riding on the twisties with my buddies, and this bike is just not meant for that.. I just felt compelled to explain myself becasue i dont want to scare any one away thinking i am selling a lemon.. thats all!

well the dealership i want to trade it in, is about 5 hours away and i rather go there with cash in hand so i can negotiate a better price on the bike i want. which also brings up another problem, i would hate to have to to take the bike all the way out there and then be not happy with what what he is offereing..

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
the bike is great! Dont get me wrong, i love everything about the bike, the styling and riding comfort etc.. but i still like leaning my bike as i go around corners and thats what i look forward to most when i go up riding on the twisties with my buddies, and this bike is just not meant for that.. I just felt compelled to explain myself becasue i dont want to scare any one away thinking i am selling a lemon.. thats all!

well the dealership i want to trade it in, is about 5 hours away and i rather go there with cash in hand so i can negotiate a better price on the bike i want. which also brings up another problem, i would hate to have to to take the bike all the way out there and then be not happy with what what he is offereing..
When I traded my 800 in for the 1500 I did everything online. Started talking with a salesman through the Dealership link (E-mail). Told him which scoot I was interested in and what my trade-in entailed. Sent him pics of the 800 and even negotiated the price. Got a percentage of all the extras I installed (windshield, bags, ect...). The 1500 was new so a test ride really wasn't necessary. Just another option for you to consider.

·
Registered
98 Posts
the bike is great! Dont get me wrong, i love everything about the bike, the styling and riding comfort etc.. but i still like leaning my bike as i go around corners and thats what i look forward to most when i go up riding on the twisties with my buddies, and this bike is just not meant for that.
Agreed. It's a cruiser... and it won't handle like a sport bike. :)

But there's got to be some dealer closer than 5 hours away. Even if you hit up www.KBB.com or www.nadaguides.com to get a better idea on how much trade-in values are... it will give you a better idea on pricing.

I went back and found your ad and see that you're down south. Up here in Michigan the prices fluctuate greatly based upon how close to Winter it is. Lots of GREAT deals to be had as the snow gets closer.

That said, I bought my 2005 V2K in October of 2011 for $5800. It had just under 13000 miles and a ton of extras.

I got a GREAT deal.

Kelley Blue Book (in my area as it asks for a zip code) lists our bikes at $4250 for trade-in and $6170 for purchase price at a dealer +/- a few bucks for accessories, mileage and damage. You can also check out eBay's used auction pricing. This will tell you exactly what these bikes are selling for.

Here's one that just ended:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-KAWASAKI-VN2000-VULCAN-2000-CLASSIC-W-WARRANTY-/181068044822?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item2a287f1a16

I'd say slap 5K on it and move it (but that's just me :D ).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok.. had a talk with the "stealership" and they low balled me terribly.. but at the same time it did get me a better idea about the price point, so i have lowered the sale price to $5900. Not very happy about it (just means i will have to come up with more money for the K1200r). But it is what it is..

·
Registered
98 Posts
ok.. had a talk with the "stealership" and they low balled me terribly.. but at the same time it did get me a better idea about the price point, so i have lowered the sale price to $5900. Not very happy about it (just means i will have to come up with more money for the K1200r). But it is what it is..
The best thing to do when bartering with dealerships is to be willing to shop elsewhere and to walk away. I start by pricing the new bike out over the phone or on the Internet (depending if you're buying new or used). I walk in with 2-3 other places I could buy the bike and the prices they are offering.

If you're going with a BMW shop, most are reluctant to take cruisers in on trade as their typical audience isn't looking for a cruiser. :( But they usually are willing to haggle on the price of the next bike. If you find the same bike at another dealership for less (even if it's a longer drive for you) ask your dealer to beat that price. You may be surprised by the offer they come back with.

If it's used, be sure to bring in 5-7 different ads for the same bike. Be sure you remind them that you want ANY issues the bike has worked out before the sale is final (without raising the price). Any quality dealership will stand behind the used bikes they sell (try for a 3 month handshake warranty).

The other thing you can do is look into consigning your bike at a Kawasaki dealership. My local guy charges something like 20% to park it on his floor.

Good luck with your sale!
Bo

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The best thing to do when bartering with dealerships is to be willing to shop elsewhere and to walk away. I start by pricing the new bike out over the phone or on the Internet (depending if you're buying new or used). I walk in with 2-3 other places I could buy the bike and the prices they are offering.

If you're going with a BMW shop, most are reluctant to take cruisers in on trade as their typical audience isn't looking for a cruiser. :( But they usually are willing to haggle on the price of the next bike. If you find the same bike at another dealership for less (even if it's a longer drive for you) ask your dealer to beat that price. You may be surprised by the offer they come back with.

If it's used, be sure to bring in 5-7 different ads for the same bike. Be sure you remind them that you want ANY issues the bike has worked out before the sale is final (without raising the price). Any quality dealership will stand behind the used bikes they sell (try for a 3 month handshake warranty).

The other thing you can do is look into consigning your bike at a Kawasaki dealership. My local guy charges something like 20% to park it on his floor.

Good luck with your sale!
Bo
I done that when I purchased my mean streak. There was a bran new left over 06 at the "Other Dealer" ad the dealer I purchased my current year new 07 dropped the price down to within 100 bucks of the other one. It would have cost me almost that just to drive over there to get the other bike.

The worst thing they can tell you is no. And if you can't get the price down work on some extras. Getting extras at their cost dose not cost them any money and SAVES you a ton.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I do not know what you had the bike priced at before since this is the first I saw of this thread but I feel one thing that is killing the used price of these machines is the fact that there are still some brand new leftover floating out there that make for some killer deals. I got my brand new 08 in April of '12 for 9k OTD with a few little extras thrown in. I know CoolPig purchased one a brand new left over a few months ago.

After owning my V2K for 10 months now, and enjoying the bike like I have I would be one of the people that would be willing to give a bit more for a good V2K.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the recommendations fellas.. the BMW store, does have quite a few ued cruisers in their inventory, but from the conversation i had, i get the feeling that other than BMW, ducati or triumph these guys dont know much about other bikes, cos i had to tell the guy that the vulcan that he was comparing mine to, which was in his inventory was a 900 and mine was a 2000.. then he asks me if it was a victory, and i told him, no it was made by kawasaki.. So it was very evident that he was clueless about the bike. nevertheless the dealership has a very good reputation for its customer service and service department, so i am willing to let a few things slip. (normally i dont have any patience for stealerships)
i think this would have gone a lot more smoothly had i been intersted in a new bike than a used bike. they seem to bend over backwards to get the new bikes off the show room floor, which is understandable.
i have researched the K1200R over the net at multiple places, the only down side is that i will have to factor in shipping cost for any other location and these bikes are bit hard to come by. so i think for now, i am going to let this bike sit on craigslist for a little bit and on the classifieds and see if i can find an interested buyer. generally as a rule i have never financed any my bikes, but for the right one, i dont mind financing a part of the cost. So i tihnk i am going to just save up the difference in cost for the moment and see what happens come good riding weather!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
If you could hold out until spring, you would really increase your chances of selling it for the price you want. Everybody is lowballing sellers during winter months.

I am a sport bike rider, have been for many, many years. Enjoy your new bike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you could hold out until spring, you would really increase your chances of selling it for the price you want. Everybody is lowballing sellers during winter months.

I am a sport bike rider, have been for many, many years. Enjoy your new bike.
It might be spring before it sells anyways, i am not in a hurry, so i can wait..
I still my zx10r, which serves the purpose. my beemer might have to wait a lil longer thats all!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
still waiting.. had a potential buyer who came by last weekend, was super impressed by it! rode it around the block too.. guess he has to sell his older bike that he has or hide it from his wife before he can buy mine.. go figure!!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
This is one of those things that just really bother me. Why do people come and look at stuff before they have to money to buy them. I mean I get looking at new vehicles and stuff like that but when it come to used and private party deals you don't know if it is going to be around when "I get my bike sold" or "When my tax return come" or what ever the reason is. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i agree with you on that! normally i dont even entertain such "wishful buyers" but he was an older gentleman, and he wanted to see if he would fit on the bike as he was a bit short. It also gives me a buyers perspective. we all know our bikes are like gold to us! cos we care for them. but how does it shows to the buyer usually matters too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is one of those things that just really bother me. Why do people come and look at stuff before they have to money to buy them. I mean I get looking at new vehicles and stuff like that but when it come to used and private party deals you don't know if it is going to be around when "I get my bike sold" or "When my tax return come" or what ever the reason is. I just don't get it.
Yup. Me too. Couple years ago I had some jackass come over offering to buy my Valkyrie I was selling... turns out he was only interested in sitting on a Mustang seat. He bounced around for a few minutes and refused to take it for a test ride. I grilled him for a few minutes and once the truth came out I went over to his wife (sitting in the car) and told her to get her husband out of my driveway.

Her embarrassment likely ruined the rest of his night (at least I hope it did :D).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup. Me too. Couple years ago I had some jackass come over offering to buy my Valkyrie I was selling... turns out he was only interested in sitting on a Mustang seat. He bounced around for a few minutes and refused to take it for a test ride. I grilled him for a few minutes and once the truth came out I went over to his wife (sitting in the car) and told her to get her husband out of my driveway.

Her embarrassment likely ruined the rest of his night (at least I hope it did :D).
i cant believe people would go to such lengths. If it were me, and if he had told me first off that he would like to try out the mustang seat (only on a stationary bike) i would have entertained him. but to lie that he was there to buy the bike and then say that.. that would have ticked me off too!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts