Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people out there when they store there bikes for the winter put them up on a lift to keep the tires off the ground? I bought a small scissor lift and was thinking of raising my bike off the floor.Could be on the lift around four months I wonder if that's too long?Or would the lift do any damage to the underneath of the bike?

·
Registered
Kawasaki VN800A (1995). Yamaha Raider (2008). Yamaha FZ1 (2006).
203 Posts
IMO, cannot do any damage.
Also there is no need to put on a lift, should be enough if you just move the bike, in order to change the contact spot of the tire to the ground.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Always a good idea. 800's can be a pain to lift. Some of the guys have used a set of hockey pucks to offset the frame/trans clearance problem - works well actually. Another school of thought is to deflate tires to around 10/15 psi for the long sit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 1600 Classic it sat in the garage without a lift for about a year when i got home and took it out the first time there were no issues except low air. fill the tires up and have taken it out a couple times runs just fine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah, agreed a lift is not required for most U.S. winters. If you get a nice 45 (or insert your own tolerance here) degree F day in the winter, you can always go for a ride without a bunch of extra work. My 800 has been stored in the shed for about a month but I took it out and rode to work today! If it were on a lift I probably would have taken the truck.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2014
52 Posts
Hubby puts his up on bike lift. Mine is just on the cement. But been thinking of getting a lift for mine as well.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The choice is yours. I park mine on rubber backed carpet in an unheated garage with no issues but if you have a lift, use it...............

·
Registered
9 Posts
No problem putting 800 on a lift.

I bought a cheap ($129.99 on sale) lift at Sears and it works fine on my 800 Classic. I had to put a 1" X 1" piece of wood under the front lift arm to keep the bike level. I drop ~10# off the tire pressure and push the bike into the corner of the garage for the winter. Been using it for 5 years without any issues. Use a battery tender, top off the gas tank and run some NEW Sta-bil and ethanol treatment through your engine so it will start right up in the spring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts