Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a 2004 Vulcan 2000. It is very nice with just over 4,000 miles. I realize being that old, the tires may have a problem. However, I am concerned with the low mileage and the injectors. Does anybody think that might be a problem. If so, how can I identify. I was assuming that I would go back and look at it cold.

Any help would be appreciated.

George

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hey George.....Best thing u can do is fire the beast up......Not sure where u at but would advise taking it 4 a run.....If old gas u should dump it b4.......Use fresh gas.....After running the bike u will know if there r issues.....There r many good injector cleaners on the market.....The folks in the USA like the product sea foam....A lot of them use it in this forum.....If there r some problems or things u r unsure of u could post back here and someone will b able 2 help u.........Terry........:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Terry. Doing something like that would be difficult before purchasing it. Out here in California, it is even very hard to get a test ride. It does sound as if it is not as big a deal as carburetors being gummed up. I looked at the bike once only. He had met me at a half way point. It sounded fine, and idle smoothly. But, who knows how it was when he started it up. I'm sure it is fine, but want to do as many checks before handing out the bucks.

George

·
Registered
319 Posts

Out of all the V2K's, the 04 is the most poerfull. The 04's stock timing is way advanced. Starting in 05, they backed the timeing down to save the trannys. The only real downside to an 04 is that they have the single rear beraing set-up. For around $150, you can update to the newer dual bearing set up. Run some seafoam threw it once in awhile. You'll never have injector problems

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where do you get "Seafoam"? And, is this just an additive to the gas?

Not sure why I am having a difficult decision making up my mind on purchasing this V2K. It is that blue/gray color. Maybe that is the problem. But, really, for a 2004, it is like brand new.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume "Seafoam" is a fuel additive?

I can get the 2004 V2K for $5,400. It includes radiator cover and t-bag, It also has engine guard. Not sure if that is standard, or an option. And, only has 4,200 miles. It's also not a "Classic". Not sure if in 2004 they offered the classic. Anyway, the modern is worth more than the "Classic"

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I bought it yesterday, and took it in today for a minor service and diagnosis. The motorsports store I used was fantastic. They checked it out, adjusted everything, and changed the oil. And, they were not ridiculous with pricing. They only charged an hour for adjusting and diagnosing, and about a half hour for changing the oil.

Really is a fantastic bike. I really like the light rumble of it, and it rides better than anything I have ever ridden. One of the mechanics asked if I had just bought it new.

Only problem I see, is the fact that the speed catches up with you. You don't realize how fast you are going.

The drive belt is whining a little. They said it was probably from sitting. But nothing wrong with it. Mentioned to use a belt lubricant. Anybody else have that problem and used belt lub?

George

1 - 9 of 9 Posts