Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my daughter is looking at a 2003 Vulcan 800 as her first bike. I was wondering what problems this machine might or night not have, I don't remember the miles. any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
a 2003 800 would be problem free, I have an '05 800 and before had an '02 800, nice bikes and she'll like it

·
Registered
761 Posts
Being it's a 13 year old bike it may not be quite problem free.Much will depend on how the bike was maintained over the years and how many hands it has passed through.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks that's what I was thinking. haven't heard it run yet. but it is clean & looks very nice. maybe take it for a test ride tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Be sure to ask if the Valve shim clearance has been checked in the last 6 thousand miles - If the valve shim clearance goes out of specification it will overheat the cylinder and bust off a valve and your motor will be done for. EVERY 6000 miles this must be checked - Other than that My wife has over 40K on hers with no problems but we do regular maintenance too. Also get a 800 Classic - The 800 custom has too skinny of a front tire although you can put on a wider front tire for a 17% increase in ground contact on the Custom model or 800A.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
how did you make out with the '03 800... did you test ride it or buy it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts