Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/f...ed-my-stage-1-debaffle-took-about-35-min.html

Post #9 of this thread states "....taking a long punch and poking holes thru to the back wall of the baffles.."

How long does this long punch need to be? Is the back of wall of the baffles towards the front of bike and right through the guts of the pipe?

Romper
I've done a stage 1 debaffle on my bike (holes around the perimeter of the baffle). I haven't done the punch yet but I have used a torch to peek into the pipe and also poked a length of dowel in to check the depth. I remember it being around 8-12 inches back. Get a torch and have a look. You should be able to see in.

· Registered
179 Posts
I used about a 12 inch sharp tipped punch on mine. A drill would be easier if you had the right size and length drill bit. If you do this first ride it before deciding on drilling holes around the perimeter of the baffle. I personally like the sound better without the extra holes drilled around the perimeter.

· Registered
409 Posts
I've done a stage 1 debaffle on my bike (holes around the perimeter of the baffle). I haven't done the punch yet but I have used a torch to peek into the pipe and also poked a length of dowel in to check the depth. I remember it being around 8-12 inches back. Get a torch and have a look. You should be able to see in.
Just being on the safe side here, and at the risk of stating the obvious, as used herein a torch is a flashlight. Just saying. I had this image of someone setting their hair on fire. :D

· Premium Member
20 Posts
I went straight to the full debaffle. My ears could not handle it.
FWIW it is possible to weld everything back in. I used a 3" hole saw to remove.
First a photo of the reinstall. I am not a welder and I could not see what I was welding. But it is definitely stuck in. That is a big washer I replaced outer ring with. The inner weld circle is me making fun of myself. High temp black paint makes all look better. The other two photos are what you see in there....for anyone who hasn't.
After all the work...I think it sounds better now.:)
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Rim

Wheel Eye Auto part Circle Tire

Circle Metal

· Registered
99 Posts
Just being on the safe side here, and at the risk of stating the obvious, as used herein a torch is a flashlight. Just saying. I had this image of someone setting their hair on fire. :D
Lol, thought the same thing but then I see the fella's from down under so they must refer to a flashlight as a "torch" down there.

· Registered
85 Posts
I went straight to the full debaffle. My ears could not handle it.
FWIW it is possible to weld everything back in. I used a 3" hole saw to remove.
First a photo of the reinstall. I am not a welder and I could not see what I was welding. But it is definitely stuck in. That is a big washer I replaced outer ring with. The inner weld circle is me making fun of myself. High temp black paint makes all look better. The other two photos are what you see in there....for anyone who hasn't.
After all the work...I think it sounds better now.:)
View attachment 96250

View attachment 96258

View attachment 96266
is that the cat I see?

· Registered
143 Posts
Lol, thought the same thing but then I see the fella's from down under so they must refer to a flashlight as a "torch" down there.
Ah yeah... sorry about the terminology difference. I should have spotted that one! Yes... a small flashlight. Do NOT use any flaming object to inspect your exhaust pipes...

:D

· Registered
179 Posts
Romper
I originally had 4 holes drilled around the baffle as well as center punched. I didn't like the sound so I covered the 4 holes with large washers and the sound is much deeper. To each their own.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Intersting nlrider.
When you say "centre punched" - is this at the other end? If so, how many times did you centre punch it? What tools did you use ti reach in and extend the punch right through the pipe?

How did you cover the 4 holes with washerS?

ROmper

· Registered
48 Posts
This sounds like the solution for me. I'd like a little more 'bark' for the texters out there on my commute but not so loud that I've got to wear ear plugs. Does anyone have a before and after clip to compare sound just doing the punch through?

Good riding to ya all!

Vulkid

· Registered
143 Posts
Have a skim through this thread to find more info/opinions on what it sounds like:

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-138066.html

I have what they refer to as a "stage 1 debaffle". It's drilling holes in the outer plate. I put 4 x 10mm holes in each. I eventually increased to 8 per pipe. I like the increase in volume. It sounds nice and deep without being obnoxiously loud. If I could do it again, I would go 4-6 holes but as wide as possible (approx 13mm).

Here is a video that gives a pretty fair sound comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcCaN3rCbVw

· Registered
179 Posts
My process went like this.
I drilled 4 holes in the baffle ( stage 1 debaffle)and didn't like the sound. I then punched through the centre screen/plug, it's about 12 inches in from the end of the exhaust. On mine it was the front end of the baffle and solid. I used a sharpened piece of rebar to punch through it.The sound was much better, not obnoxious, but still not the thump I was looking for. I later had a machinist friend make 2 stainless steel washers to cover the 4 holes I had drilled. The holes in the pictures are only in the washers. I used gasket maker and stainless steel self tapping screws to attach the washers.
This was an experiment, I didn't know how the sound would be affected.
Now I like the sound, at idle it's quiet but definitely barks under acceleration. My HD riding friend even said it sounds good.
The attached picture was taken before I painted the washers black.

Attachments

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great links MrWalko-thank you.

nlrider - so, to confirm - you removed the entire centre screen/plug by punching/piercing it out ?

how did this screen/plug actually fall out of the exhaust pipe if it was punched inwards?

i noticed there are still 4 smaller holes remaining in each baffle - will those be covered up as well?

ROmper

· Registered
179 Posts
I punched a hole in it approximately the same diameter as the inside of the exhaust pipe. When you punch a hole in metal it bends back from the hole, nothing to fall out. The 4 small holes in the washers only go through the washers and not the baffle, they were drilled by the guy who made them but they were too close to the edge for the screws to attach to the end of the baffle. I had to drill new ones.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.