Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm going to be mounting new tires on my '06 Classic soon and need some advice on removing the rear wheel and tire. I don't have a shop manual. I do have a motorcycle lift. What tools do I need, etc.? Do I need to drop the mufflers? I'd really appreciate any input here, as it would save me a bunch of money if I can just bring the wheels themselves in rather than have the shop do everything. Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I used a 27mm open end wrench on the nut. You'll need a heavy phillips screw driver or something similar to slip thru the hole in the drive side of the axle. The manual says you need to remove the muffler but I think that's only if you plan on using a socket wrench. Leaving the muffler on will mean you can't put a torque wrench on during reassembly, but other than that...

As you can see, I didn't need to pull the muffler on my custom. I sent a PM with more info

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a 27mm open end wrench on the nut. You'll need a heavy phillips screw driver or something similar to slip thru the hole in the drive side of the axle. The manual says you need to remove the muffler but I think that's only if you plan on using a socket wrench. Leaving the muffler on will mean you can't put a torque wrench on during reassembly, but other than that...

As you can see, I didn't need to pull the muffler on my custom. I sent a PM with more info
SteveJB--Got it. Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Putting back on.

Getting the wheel off was not too bad. Took a while to remove the belt, yes, even after loosening it.

I did not need to remove muffler.

The hard part was getting it back on. The aligning and keeping in place the pieces while you put the axle bolt back through was a killer. The Break housing and the spacer kept popping off.

This is my first bike and first time I have taken off rear tire. An experienced friend helped.

I then proceeded to tighten belt too much. Heard a vibration at high speeds. Did not know at first what it was. after loosening belt a little it got better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts