Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

The splines stripped off of my pulley shaft - AGAIN. First time was at 14k mi., now at 30k mi. Original owner had the first shaft replaced by the dealer, but this one's on me.

I have found a link here referring to the procedure, and even comments on how great the link is, but when I try to follow it it is about heat shields on a Concourse, so some wires are crossed somewhere.

Anybody know about how to do this without splitting the cases? The manual tells me nothing. The exploded view makes it look like I could take the "oil tank" cover off, take the nut off the pulley shaft gear and drive the shaft and its left side bearing out the left side. But in a post here it says the guy took the shaft out from the right side, with no other details. That would require removing the case part that is under the oil tank.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm not going to put another $250 Kawasaki shaft in the bike. I'll get one made out of the proper steel and correctly heat treated. This will facilitate my chain drive conversion anyway - I'll have it splined 30mmX13 for a Triumph sprocket and this stripping crap will be over.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for this info. I searched for quite a while before asking for it - really! Guess my searching skills aren't up to speed.

On another note:

Kawasaki really screwed the pooch with this bike. There is no excuse for putting these junk parts in the bike, and this "wrong lubricant" crap is total BS. I've worn out many sprockets (chain teeth) on bikes and have never lubed a spline with anything special or ever had a problem with a countershaft spline stripping. This is BAD HEAT TREATMENT or CHEAP MATERIAL for the shaft, period.

When Kawasaki set out to copy Harley Davidson, they went a little too far.

My next bike will be a Victory.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts