Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So today I finally pulled the trigger on a Chuckster Customs BAK. It has been through tons of research and weeding through all the threads about people whining because they can hear the engine now, that I finally decided to get my BAK. These bikes seriously need to breathe. I wish Kaw would have learned from previous models like the 1500 and 1600s that the cross over air tube is about as dumb as a box of rocks. Joe was a great guy to deal with and respnded to PMs even on Sunday. He is shipping out the intake today. Hopefully should only take about 4 days coming from Michigan unless he sends it 2 day priority, I did not ask. This intake coupled with my V&H slip ons and EJK fuel processor should wake the sleeping giant. Can't wait. Thanks to all the members that provided honest feedback about these air kits. I will post some results when installed.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Cool, can't wait to see it on!.. Hey.. one weekend, we preferably Sunday we need to get Racnray and few others and do breakfast, and ride maybe around lake O

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, can't wait to see it on!.. Hey.. one weekend, we preferably Sunday we need to get Racnray and few others and do breakfast, and ride maybe around lake O
Sounds like a plan. We can meet at Belle Glade or something. I been trying to get a ride in with Ray for a while, its just alot of my buddies like to ride Saturdays. I am more flexible.

The BAK retains the stock look so the pics will be with the dog bowl off.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I'm interested to see it. I need air since I installed the v&h and the cobra power pro is in the mail.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm interested to see it. I need air since I installed the v&h and the cobra power pro is in the mail.
It will be interesting to see if you have success with the cobra power pro. Not to jinx you but the failure to perform what it says it can do is high. Some have had success while numerous others now use the power pro as a $500 paper weight. :(

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I am shocked as how much the power pro cost, vs how in effective it is. buttt some like it..

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Most of the reviews I read were good. If it sucks, I'll exchange it for something else. I have a friend with one on his vaquero and it runs like a raped ape. The reviews I've read that didn't work are usually classics instead of nomads.

I have a lot of customer service skills, and in the end, I'll get my money back if it sucks. I know the buttons to push if they won't make it right.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I am shocked as how much the power pro cost, vs how in effective it is. buttt some like it..
I had a power commander on my 900 and I wasn't impressed. I'm intrigued by the ability to self tune. Hopefully it wasn't a waste of money. Time will tell.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a power commander on my 900 and I wasn't impressed. I'm intrigued by the ability to self tune. Hopefully it wasn't a waste of money. Time will tell.
Trust me my friend I really hope it works for you. I just dont see how it can detect every mod you make to the bike ie. Air intake, exhaust. Without an o2 sensor I am not sure how it would detect any change in Air fuel mixture. I hate buying shit that does not work. I am happy with the EJK at less than 1/2 the price of the power pro.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I know, so many different opinions on this... my 900 custom I had the cobra FI and a friend exact same bike same hyper charger but cobra pipes and power commander , I had V&H slash downs, and he weighed 50lbs more and his bike accelerated quicker, when I rode it, it had the wow factor over mine. I also try messing with it... friends hated riding behind me as my fuel stunk( very rich) keep trying to adjust it. But everyone has various opinions, and I really hope it works for you.. I also had it when it was 2008.. I am sure it's put together better now.. I do see that it cost more too.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Trust me my friend I really hope it works for you. I just dont see how it can detect every mod you make to the bike ie. Air intake, exhaust. Without an o2 sensor I am not sure how it would detect any change in Air fuel mixture. I hate buying shit that does not work. I am happy with the EJK at less than 1/2 the price of the power pro.
I wondered about this too. It's based on injector pulsing. There's a good video on their site. It uses the base tune in your computer to start with and helps with fuel along the way. I'm not claiming to understand completely, but i rode a 1700 with one and I really like it. I ride at all kinds of elevations, so I don't like the one and done tune of the pc. I toyed with the dobeck, and will end up,with that if I hate this. I have high hopes though, since I've ridden with one here in Colorado and also the same bike in FL. It was awesome because it handled sea level and mile high with ease.

I know, so many different opinions on this... my 900 custom I had the cobra FI and a friend exact same bike same hyper charger but cobra pipes and power commander , I had V&H slash downs, and he weighed 50lbs more and his bike accelerated quicker, when I rode it, it had the wow factor over mine. I also try messing with it... friends hated riding behind me as my fuel stunk( very rich) keep trying to adjust it. But everyone has various opinions, and I really hope it works for you.. I also had it when it was 2008.. I am sure it's put together better now.. I do see that it cost more too.

My friend had one on his 13. I wonder if they got their stuff together in later models. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated. There are a lot of 1700s in the dvra that want to know how it performs too. I'll end up with a full write up, I'm sure.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I wondered about this too. It's based on injector pulsing. There's a good video on their site. It uses the base tune in your computer to start with and helps with fuel along the way. I'm not claiming to understand completely, but i rode a 1700 with one and I really like it. I ride at all kinds of elevations, so I don't like the one and done tune of the pc. I toyed with the dobeck, and will end up,with that if I hate this. I have high hopes though, since I've ridden with one here in Colorado and also the same bike in FL. It was awesome because it handled sea level and mile high with ease.

My friend had one on his 13. I wonder if they got their stuff together in later models. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated. There are a lot of 1700s in the dvra that want to know how it performs too. I'll end up with a full write up, I'm sure.
ahh good point on the elevation changes..

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is precisely my point. How would the Cobra Autotune know that there was a change in air density just by injector pulses. Only an O2 sensor would be able to monitor changes in AFR and make adjustments automatically. That is why you need to add an O2 sensor with the power commander Auto tune module. It makes trim adjustments on the fly by monitoring AFR.

By no means am I trying to piss on your cheerios. I was going to get the Cobra unit myself when I read its claims, but the more I thought about it the more suspect their claims of being able to autotune for any mod or situation became. My .02 cents. ;)

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
That is precisely my point. How would the Cobra Autotune know that there was a change in air density just by injector pulses. Only an O2 sensor would be able to monitor changes in AFR and make adjustments automatically. That is why you need to add an O2 sensor with the power commander Auto tune module. It makes trim adjustments on the fly by monitoring AFR.

By no means am I trying to piss on your cheerios. I was going to get the Cobra unit myself when I read its claims, but the more I thought about it the more suspect their claims of being able to autotune for any mod or situation became. My .02 cents. ;)
I may get the auto tune for myself... but not in dire need of it yet!

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts

I know what you're saying. I've seen it work, so I'll trust that. How does your stock ecu make adjustments? There's no O2 sensor in the system there either...

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Also, no piss in my Cheerios. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one and they all stink...;)

I'm not easily offended and the conversation is good.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I know that Ray has some strong opinions on the "autotune" unit... And isn't there an adjustment on them? Which you have to remove a cover to get to?

I'm happy with my EJK.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The stock ECU is operating under the parameters of a completely stock bike. It does not know whether we changed mufflers, complete exhaust or added an air kit. So, as far as fuel, the ECU does not really adjust anything. It is distributing fuel within a range that if you are at 6000 ft above sea level or 6 ft. Above sea level like me, the bike will still operate properly. The only real adjustment the ECU makes is based on engine temperatures. The ECU pulls timing and reduces power to avoid any pinging or knocking when the bike gets hot. :eek:

And for the record my opinions nor my butthole stink...lmao :D

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
The stock ECU is operating under the parameters of a completely stock bike. It does not know whether we changed mufflers, complete exhaust or added an air kit. So, as far as fuel, the ECU does not really adjust anything. It is distributing fuel within a range that if you are at 6000 ft above sea level or 6 ft. Above sea level like me, the bike will still operate properly. The only real adjustment the ECU makes is based on engine temperatures. The ECU pulls timing and reduces power to avoid any pinging or knocking when the bike gets hot. :eek:

And for the record my opinions nor my butthole stink...lmao :D
The cobra operates within parameters too. It's just programmed to add fuel. It's using the base tune to adjust based on input information. We can go rounds all day. I'll install and report back. Should be here soonish.

And if you claim your butthole doesn't stink, I'm not sure I can trust you... :eek::D haha

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The cobra operates within parameters too. It's just programmed to add fuel. It's using the base tune to adjust based on input information. We can go rounds all day. I'll install and report back. Should be here soonish.

And if you claim your butthole doesn't stink, I'm not sure I can trust you... :eek::D haha
I know Hayes , I am a natural pain in the ass. Drives my wife crazy. I wish you luck my friend. Let us know how it works out.

Then let us know what the restocking fee was when you return it..lol. Have a great cinco de drinko. :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts